Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-02-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Re: question RE: backing deals

[ QUOTE ]
OK. So what is your question then?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
just wondering if any of you have any experience with, or thoughts concerning backing deals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-02-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as he doesnt own a string of italian resteraunts or garbage trucks, it sounds good.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 05:49 AM

As long as this money he backs you with isn't "dirty" I don't get what's the problem?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK. So what is your question then?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
just wondering if any of you have any experience with, or thoughts concerning backing deals.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice job selectively quoting.

[ QUOTE ]
ps. don't worry about talking to me about anything other then the financial EV of the decision,

[/ QUOTE ]

What is there to talk about re: the financial EV of the situation besides what I wrote already?

(50/100 earn)/2 - (normal game earn) + (value of having no downside risk).

What value can any of us add to that equation?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is there to talk about re: the financial EV of the situation besides what I wrote already?

[/ QUOTE ]

i know its hard for you to imagine that there is valuable conversation outside of your mind, however someone who actually has experience playing both a 20-40 and 50-100 game might have said something along the lines of: "the 50-100 is actually exponentally more difficult then the 20-40 game, so stay with your bread and butter". or maybe "the 50-100 game plays a lot bigger, but isn't that much tougher to beat".
Old 04-02-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i know its hard for you to imagine that there is valuable conversation outside of your mind, however someone who actually has experience playing both a 20-40 and 50-100 game might have said something along the lines of: "the 50-100 is actually exponentally more difficult then the 20-40 game, so stay with your bread and butter". or maybe "the 50-100 game plays a lot bigger, but isn't that much tougher to beat".

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I forgot to consider all the countless Commerce 50-100 lurkers here that are probably going to chime in.

UB 50-100 plays very much like the UB 25-50. IMO, that has near zero relevance to your question.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:01 PM

Hey riverboatking,

I don't think you really need backing for the games you are already beating the crap out of and for which you have adequate bankroll. While having no risk is nice, it's another hand in your pocket that you don't really need. However, if you could work it so that he's only backing you in the bigger games, which you can't really afford at the moment, then it would be a fantastic deal. You might be able to make more in the 50-100 than you are at lower limits even with him taking half the profits and not have to worry about a bad run of cards sending you back to the 3-5 NL with me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just make sure the agreement is for a specific time period, because once you build up the roll to a safe 50-100 level(200K or so?), you don't want to be stuck in an agreement that is costing you money.

Good luck, let me know how it turns out.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:14 PM

I'd also like to point out one thing to those who have suggested that the backer is getting raped in this deal. I think this is far from the case if you consider that the backer has played many hours of poker with riverboatking, enough that he is convinced that rbk is a favorite over the games he wants to back him in. He also has a crapload of money and likes to gamble. Basically, if he is certain that rbk is a long term winning player, he is getting a great deal being the banker. He makes a lot of money without doing anything, so we shouldn't feel sorry for him and rbk should not feel bad about taking advantage of this deal. Just my opinion.