Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: question RE: backing deals

even though he is responsible for his losses in the 20-40 game he is wondering if he still would be better off playing that game then playing a game that he might have trouble beating. its just a matter of is the opportunity cost of not playing the 20/40 is worth playing the 50/100 (he splits profits so he really has to be winning at pretty close to the same rate as the 20/40 game). As an experience, challege, and improvement to your game without risking bankroll i think its definitely worth anything you might give up financially
Old 04-01-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this seems really dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't given it too much thought, but I don't see how it would be "dumb". Just scummy.

[ QUOTE ]

even dumber than offering to stake someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that hard to believe.

Maybe if you care to explain?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even though he is responsible for his losses in the 20-40 game he is wondering if he still would be better off playing that game then playing a game that he might have trouble beating. its just a matter of is the opportunity cost of not playing the 20/40 is worth playing the 50/100 (he splits profits so he really has to be winning at pretty close to the same rate as the 20/40 game).

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, thanks, that's not obvious. My point was that it seems silly to ask this question to anyone but people who know rbk and know the 20/40 and 50/100 games. If his question is really simplistic, the answer is trivial:

(50/100 earn)/2 - (normal game earn) + (value of having no downside risk). That is the financial EV of this situation. Again, what's the question?

As I type this in, I start to wonder, hmmmmm, what's the date?

[ QUOTE ]
As an experience, challege, and improvement to your game without risking bankroll i think its definitely worth anything you might give up financially

[/ QUOTE ]

don't worry about talking to me about anything other then the financial EV of the decision
Old 04-01-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I type this in, I start to wonder, hmmmmm, what's the date?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess we've been had.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:29 PM

So aside from the "I play 50/100 NL and I'm a baller" mentality, it just comes down to are you making more money playing 20/40 by yourself than 50/100 split two ways? Despite the doubling of limits, the competition is probably stiffer (unless a lot of the 20/40 guys play in it)...I can't imagine you would make more money...
Old 04-01-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So aside from the "I play 50/100 NL and I'm a baller" mentality, it just comes down to are you making more money playing 20/40 by yourself than 50/100 split two ways? Despite the doubling of limits, the competition is probably stiffer (unless a lot of the 20/40 guys play in it)...I can't imagine you would make more money...

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but he cant lose money, which is big.

no risk, playing in a higher game. i dont think its very close. id give it a try for a while.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 PM

this isn't an april fools joke...and if it was it'd be a pretty lame one.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]this is obviously wrong... playing on his own he is having losing sessions. with this backing deal, hes not. like some have said, if you are 100% comfortable with this guy, why would not take the deal... ?
Old 04-01-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this isn't an april fools joke...and if it was it'd be a pretty lame one.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. So what is your question then?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:56 AM

As long as he doesnt own a string of italian resteraunts or garbage trucks, it sounds good.

[ QUOTE ]
ok so i've been playing the 20-40 no limit at commerce pretty regularly and there is a guy there who loses quite a bit, but is really really wealthy.

he has watched me play and last night he approached me and asked if i would "play for him".

he wants to put up all the money and split the wins 50/50, eating any and all loses that may occur.

and he wants me to play in a 50-100 blind no limit game.

i've been beating the 5-10 at the bike, 10-20 and 20-40 at commerce, consistently, so i don't really need to take the offer, however it is tempting seeing as i have a chance to play in a big game with absolutely zero risk.

just wondering if any of you have any experience with, or thoughts concerning backing deals.

ps. don't worry about talking to me about anything other then the financial EV of the decision, as i'm not worried about the business dealings between us, my question is purely in regards to whether the deal is a good.
he already made it clear that i would have full control of when i played, for how long, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]