Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Negreanu v.s. Williams, heads up

i disagree.
Daniel was losing small pots, while David would put his entire stack at risk.
This was apparent in the hand he bluffed with Q7 vs KK, and the final hand. He lost 1 million plus chips on numerous pots. Daniel never did.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:29 PM

yah, other than the Q7 v KK hand, David played well and Daniel just outcarded him.

I thought the Q7 v KK hand was pretty bad though. Daniel showed persistent strength on that hand.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Daniel's AA slow roll at the end was particularly lame. This guy seems to continuously get free passes.

[/ QUOTE ]

He definitely does. I was very surprised by Negreanu's behavior last night, especially after he won and seemed to so emphatically voice his pleasure right in front of David Williams, culminating in his "It sure is better to win" line at the conclusion of the show with the beer in his hand, Williams right behind him, etc. He came off as very snotty, which surprised me because a player like him should be very aware of the fact that he was being dealt HUGE f'ing hands while heads up. Most people could have beaten Williams with those cards. Check-minus for Daniel Negreanu's behavior last night.

Now, it must be said though that Williams's decision-making was simply disastrous on the Q-7 vs. KK hand, and he very much invited defeat with his overzealousness there.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:01 PM

When Williams said "Nice slowroll", he had a smile on his face and I am guessing those two are friends. I didn't see any animosity from David, and I don't think he thought Daniel did it to be an ahole. They were joking the entire telecast, it's not like a Phil Hellmuth - Phil Gordon slowroll where the two are not friends and it is done purposefully. I do agree that Daniel was getting owned until he started catching some monsters.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:07 PM

I agree. I didn't think he was really slow rolling and I felt that Williams comment was out of line. I think Daniel wanted to make sure that Williams was all-in and he was especially excited to probably win his first WPT event (wasn't this his first one?).

I agree that Daniel got lucky with the QQ vs A2 hand, but I think they all got a bit carried away with the ultra-aggressive play (Josh too). Now I realize that they didn't show all of the hands (think about how Daniel doubles up and gets pretty close after the QQ vs A2 hand but then a few minutes later it's clear that he's way behind again) but it seemed to get pretty predictable that if you did catch a hand or good flop that you would get paid off pretty quickly.

I played with him at the 2.5k event at the LA Poker Classic and was a bit surprised how aggressive he was. He really doesn't slow down, at least not that day. Obviously it works for him, but he makes Gus Hanson look like a tight player!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:59 PM

My impression was that David Williams had become a very tough player. Of course I've only seen him play on television and obviously they choose selected hands, but Williams seemed far more agressive in this event than in the WSOP last year. He played well enough to win and didn't get the key breaks, like when his QQ got beat by the A2.

The q7 hand was definitely a waste of chips, but overall I thought his agressive play was keeping his stack large without him holding many knockout hands. Negreanu on the other hand, did get some big hands.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:28 AM

I seem to be missing oker shows left and right. Can you tell me what show this was, i.e. what channel, and when it was on?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:32 PM

I also think David Williams is really coming into his own. I thought he especially played well in the final 3 against the Matador and Eddie. If it wasn't for that bad beat, he would have been the World Champ! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Williams did mutter, "Nice slowroll" after Daniel called, and granted, I was shitfaced, but unless they edited out a few seconds between Williams' push and Daniel's call, it sure didn't seem like a slowroll to me. I mean, yeah, it wasn't exactly the toughest call in the world, especially not HU, but it's not like Daniel had the nuts either. At least give the guy a second or two to think before making an all or nothing decision like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

he certainly didn't have the nuts, but he knew he was going all the way with AA, no matter what the flop looked like, so it was definately a slowroll because he was definately going to call.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yah, other than the Q7 v KK hand, David played well and Daniel just outcarded him.

I thought the Q7 v KK hand was pretty bad though. Daniel showed persistent strength on that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

daniel is obviously a great player, but he got outplayed in that heads up match. didn't daniel call 500k with A high at one point just to see what david had? this showed that daniel had no idea what was going on.