Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 03-08-2005, 02:50 PM

Default 2-5-5 Playing without a Hand, for a while.

Brief preamble: I am not very good, obviously. This hand was played at MotorCity--there is no cap on the buyin, and a number of the players play very deep. I am not a regular in this game--I have neither the skill nor the BR to be so, but a very occasional shot will neither make nor break me. I don't recall the exact details, but what follows is to the best of my recollection.

I have been seated for an hour and a half, and have voluntarily played one hand---AKo after one limper, I make it 25 (pretty standard) and get called in two places. No help on the flop, and I fold when bet into. If anyone is paying much attention, I probably seem like a very weak/tight player--I have been absolutely card dead, and my blinds have been near universally raised.

Reads:
SB: (prior villain) Very LAG player, very deep, smart and tricky, probably makes a nice profit bluffing folks playing with scared money.

BN: Just sat, also has me covered, though not by much. I don't know the regulars here, and I have no idea on this guy.

Hand:
I'm dealt 35 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the Hijack. Folded to me, I raise to 25 (~650 behind). CO folds, BN cold calls, SB calls. ~80 in the pot to the flop.

The flop brings J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Yea! Midpair and two BD draws.

SB bets 50 into the pot, clearly communicating that he was in fact dealt two cards. I call, planning to fold the turn. BN calls, scaring me. (230 in the pot).

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Okay, I'm starting to have a hand here. My plan to fold is not looking as solid.
SB checks. I check. BN checks.

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets 200. I call. BN agonizes, agonizes, agonizes, folds AJs face up.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: 2-5-5 Playing without a Hand, for a while.

What were the players names/what'd they look like, I play in that game pretty frequently...deep smart lag sounds like an asian guy named johnny, he normally sits with like 10k...anyway, as for the hand, why didn't you reraise all in?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:07 PM

Deep smart guy was asian, BN was a black dude with a shaved head and reflector glasses. Didn't remember either of their names, but Johnny may be right---He definitely had towards 10k, if not actually 10k.

I definitely should have rr'd all in---its unlikely they would give a shortstack credit. I was just afriad that the SB was on a total bluff (I had seen him fire every street with nothing before), and I wasn't sure what he would call me with. I thought I could also keep BN in.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Johnny is a smart lag, he plays very well, when heavy money goes in on the river he has a good hand, in this case, he probably had a 3 would be my guess, I could see how you thought the other guy would come along. Generally speaking I try to avoid him unless I have position/nuts.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:15 PM

Do you know another LAG there---white guy, shaved head, heavyset, medium build, super talkative---flirts with all the female dealers, constantly talking to the floor, etc? He was another one I was trying to avoid.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:20 PM

Hmm, not ringing a bell but I'd probably recognize him if I saw him. I'm sure randy was there too, always has this bitter look on his face, white, facial hair, old guy, rock. Stay away from him too.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:25 PM

I really like it given the information on him we have.