Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: deep stack set play 5-10 bike

[ QUOTE ]
Playing in the game on the following day with villain to my right, the table consensus seemed to be either 77 or QQ. The guy was trying to claim he had 89 and was semibluffing; this was good for a laugh as I had been playing with him for a few hours and 89 is essentially impossibile. Listening to him explain how he was bluffing, I am quite sure the 6s were no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

two things, first of all i've played with him before and i know that if my hand was good he would have showed the bluff to needle me, thats just they type of person he is.

however that is all moot because tony, the filipino prop, told me that the villian told him in filipino he had 77 and was going to bust me.

and diablo, if the river bricked off i probably would have called up to 1K, but i can tell you i was already mentally preparing myself to let the hand go if he pushed the river as i was calling the turn.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, not only is 77 a distinct possibility but so is KK. It's not unheard of for people in the small blind to slow-play KK to a pre-flop raiser looking to trap on any board with no ace and having nobody see it coming if they hit a set. I don't know if villain is that crafty but it's far from out of character for a tight player to try disguising the strength of his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way he slowplays KK out of position vs. 7 limpers.
maybe someone would but not him.
i really thought he had 77, with KQ being a very slight possibility, however once the river came it didn't matter which.
and by the way it did take me a decent amount of time to call the turn, i wasn't acting i was really deciding whether or not to fold because i felt i was beat, however i decided to call the 600 more and see what he did on the river.
if i was out of position i probably would have folded the turn.
what i find amusing is when the K came on the river he immediately went all in, he didn't even pause to consider the fact that i might have KQ...this is why he is a very tight but not so great player.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and diablo, if the river bricked off i probably would have called up to 1K, but i can tell you i was already mentally preparing myself to let the hand go if he pushed the river as i was calling the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're only going to call up to $1k on a river blank, I think you should fold on the turn. Calling and folding to a river blank push is fine.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:36 AM

looks like KQ to me
but i wouldn't be sure enough to reraise
Old 02-15-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're only going to call up to $1k on a river blank, I think you should fold on the turn. Calling and folding to a river blank push is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking when I read his reply. If that's the case, what is the "correct" amount to call on the river given the size of the pot/stack sizes?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i came up with 1K because that is about how much i thought this particular player would bet w/ top two on the river.
if he pushed i can put him on the set.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:14 PM

given the actual river card in the hand, are you at all surprised that villain bet ~$4k with 77?....after all, YOU could've had KQ.....
Old 02-16-2005, 12:56 AM

move in f*ck brain...is there any other play