Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: deep stack set play 5-10 bike

I have just read this post.

Eep. At this point I am very scared. There is really only one hand I suppose that will pay you off, so I really don't think reraising the turn has much value, especially with stacks this deep. If this guy is really tight, then I really don't see a huge problem with folding the turn. It sounds incredibly tight, but I think that's what I'd do.

OTOH, you are getting a fairly decent price to see the river. Obviously you cant call planning to fold most rivers, but it is live. If you think there is a chance he is making a move because of your recent history (his steaming), or has KQ, or if you have a beat on him and can sense his strength on the river, then I dont see a problem with calling the turn raise.

I do expect to be beat here a large amount of the time though.

-Jason

P.s. just read that the river was a K. I'd have a real problem calling any sort of river bet unless I thought he was on a move. He was tight right?? Fold the turn [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 02:07 PM

I didn't see the results until after I posted, nice laydown.

--turnipmonster
Old 02-14-2005, 02:30 PM

I would have major problems folding the turn for 600 more. even a tight player would play KQ like this, and KQs for 20 bucks preflop is a fairly common call, even for a tight player. the only realistic hand he is behind on the turn is 77, and there are twice as many ways he can have KQ.

--turnipmonster
Old 02-14-2005, 02:53 PM

"villian is very tight. "

So what would he be check raising you with that you can beat?

"he is also steamed at me because he misplayed a hand earlier vs. me and ended up losing a big pot to me (he slowplayed overpair and let me hit a set)."

What makes you say that?

"turn comes Q still rainbow.
i bet 400, villian CR to 1000.

have at it boys."

They really are having at it - lot's of replies. I have not read the replies yet but I think you have a pretty simple hand here.

ON the turn, you have 2 options:
1. Call and see what he does on the turn
2. Fold
That is after you bet. You could have checked the turn.

You said he's a tight player, so I would lean to folding. However, you are in position, which makes a call more favorable. This is a player dependent hand - the money is super-deep. It all depends on your read of the opponent whether to call or fold on the turn.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:02 PM

Well, the river made your decision a lot easier. KQs is obviously the most likely hand which you can beat on the turn.

What if the river were a deuce? Call a push? If not, how much do you call?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:47 PM

$1000?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 PM

Playing in the game on the following day with villain to my right, the table consensus seemed to be either 77 or QQ. The guy was trying to claim he had 89 and was semibluffing; this was good for a laugh as I had been playing with him for a few hours and 89 is essentially impossibile. Listening to him explain how he was bluffing, I am quite sure the 6s were no good.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the river made your decision a lot easier. KQs is obviously the most likely hand which you can beat on the turn.

What if the river were a deuce? Call a push? If not, how much do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

most obvious yes, but this guy could have a suited K or Q which flopped two pair. after the river push, you can rule out the suited queen, but i call up to $1500 or so on the river.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:14 PM

Well played.

Lawrence
Old 02-14-2005, 07:30 PM

Honestly, if there's ever a time to not be too excited about bottom set it's when the tightest player at the table smooth-calls your flop bet then check-raises barely more than the min. I would immediately slow down, just call, see what he does on the river. Maybe even act like you're considering folding a marginal hand so that he doesn't think he can get too much out of you on the river if he does have you beat at the moment. If he bets the river hard you have to fold, but if he puts in a medium-sized bet you have to call.
By the way, not only is 77 a distinct possibility but so is KK. It's not unheard of for people in the small blind to slow-play KK to a pre-flop raiser looking to trap on any board with no ace and having nobody see it coming if they hit a set. I don't know if villain is that crafty but it's far from out of character for a tight player to try disguising the strength of his hand.