Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-16-2005, 04:36 PM

Default tough spot with a set

stars 200 6 max

dont have a good read on the villain. i searched his name so i know he's only playing one table. he has a big stack from a hand we had earlier. in the previous hand i raised from the CO with 88, he smoothcalled in the sb with AA. flop was A82 and some bad [censored] went down.

now this hand. i have 200, he has more. i raise to 6 utg with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. he calls on the button. heads up, pot is $15

flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] i bet 10, he calls. pot is $35

turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] i bet $16, he minraises to $32, i call. pot is $100

river is a K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] i check, he bets $100, I fold

thoughts?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: tough spot with a set

I'd pot flop, pot turn and 3bet allin right there. River I might sigh and fold, depends on read, but a call here is definetly not way out of line imo, although you're probably beat here sometimes
Old 12-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Look at the action. That K on the river did not help either of you. If you were going to fold, folding to the turn raise was the spot to do it. Pot the turn and 3-bet all-in.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 PM

I think the biggest mistake was not betting enough on the turn. I good bet would have been at least 2/3 the pot. It also seems probable that the river didnt help him. At best he might have had J8. The turn mini raise is a curious one and tough to decifer without knowing what type of player he is, but essentially he is representing some kind of straight. He could also have two pair, like Q10, or even 910, in which case a call would be correct. Personally, I would make the call based on the fact that it is probally just as likely that he has you beat or that you have him beat. For a 50/50 call in my opinion, and to gain info on a new player and with another $100 in your stack or so, it might be worth the call. The worse part is that if he was bluffing and you fold on the river like that, he will just do it again and demoralize you.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at the action. That K on the river did not help either of you. If you were going to fold, folding to the turn raise was the spot to do it. Pot the turn and 3-bet all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding the turn raise when you have odds to fill up? Are u Craaaaazy?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:01 PM

Look at the action.

You raise kinda weak UTG
You bet kinda weak on the flop
You bet horribly weak on the turn, he minraises you and you call (which is weak), looks like your drawing to a flush IMO
Then you admit on the river that you think you're beat by checking, just like a missed flush draw
If he didn't bet that pot to try to take it down with any 2 cards on the river he is a moran.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding the turn raise when you have odds to fill up? Are u Craaaaazy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in my post do I advise OP to fold? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Are u illiterate?