Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-15-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Weak AAxx hand for me. Party PL$400

PL $2/$4

Hero ($671) limps UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG+1 who posted after just joining the table checks.

UTG+2 ($456) raises pot to $26

4 folds, I call, UTG+1 folds. Two of us to the flop with $65 in the middle.

UTG+2 is about the tightest player I've ever seen on the Party $400. I've about 250 hands on him on Omaha Tracker and his preflop raise is 1%, with zero preflop raises from the first three positions. So his raise here is an uber-premium hand. AAxxss or better, KJKJds, 6789ds and not much else. In my view it's only AAxx highly coordinated since the table is LAG like a fox (even though I'm holding the other AA).

Any way.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, Villain pots for $65, I check-raise pot to $260.

Is this standard given the information? Does anyone do anything different preflop, like folding?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Weak AAxx hand for me. Party PL$400

I don't really like folding pre-flop, especially because this guy's hand and thus subsequent play should be relatively predictable. You have a marginal A-A-x-x, but certainly not the worst that it could be.

The flop play seems a little odd to me, but maybe I am missing something. You say that this guy is tight and put him on a hand range that includes K-K-x-x. Then, a K flops and you check raise him after deciding that he can only have A-A-x-x here? You really have to have a lot of faith in your read, as you committed 1/3 of your stack to a board that you can't call a reraise against.

Is Mr. Tighty bold enough to stick over half his stack in with a reraise into a leading pot bet by yourself with nothing but A-A-x-x on that rainbow board? Probably not. So, leading here probably wins a small pot with a marginal hand (a good thing) and prevents you from losing a big pot with a marginal hand (also a good thing).

Your check/raise wins a medium pot with a marginal hand (good thing) but loses a big pot with a marginal hand (a bad thing).
Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM

I like your line. Its better than reraising preflop cause there is some fold equity. If he has KK you would get stacked either way.

A preflop fold would not be horrible given your read on the villain. Tight players make up for all the small pots they bleed into by winning big ones when the Laggies take them on when they have big hands. If you don't give them action you will usually get their money over the course of a session.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:29 PM

If the whole table is incredibly LAG, I would simply stay out of heads up pots with the tightest player youve ever seen. Look to get paid off elsewhere.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The flop play seems a little odd to me, but maybe I am missing something. You say that this guy is tight and put him on a hand range that includes K-K-x-x. Then, a K flops and you check raise him after deciding that he can only have A-A-x-x here? You really have to have a lot of faith in your read, as you committed 1/3 of your stack to a board that you can't call a reraise against.

[/ QUOTE ]I see your point. At the time I didn't think that, headsup, Mr. tighter than tight is going to make a full pot bet on a pretty drawless and rainbow board with top set. While he is tight he's not a very bad player so I think he'd like to get some value. If he has KKxx then half pot bet, get a call, and then see what happens on the turn since there aren't a massive amount of scare cards apart from a 4,5 or 6.
He'll definitely full pot bet with a better AAxx than mine, since he doesn't want to give Kxxx a chance to hit two pair.

If I had called his flop bet then I get into murkier waters with a swollen pot, OOP, against a player with a hand better than mine.

[ QUOTE ]
Is Mr. Tighty bold enough to stick over half his stack in with a reraise into a leading pot bet by yourself with nothing but A-A-x-x on that rainbow board? Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]I think that if I bet the flop he may well call to see what happens or may raise to see how happy I am about my hand. He's tight but not very weak or particularly bad.