Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Interesting Phil Ivey quote

In $4k/8k, $1m would be 125 big bets. That is an unbelievably brutal beating. It's a bankroll buster. I've never lost 125 BB in a session in <i>any</i> limit I've ever played, and I have had some major spells of running bad. Even bad players have to work very hard to blow off this much.

If Negreanu went off for this much, he must have either have been steaming, or he might have been playing shorthanded. Even shorthanded, this is a major butt whooping.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:02 PM

I've lost $250 at the $2/$4 tables in about 3 hours. Wasn't tough at all. Of course this was before I knew anything about poker. But still the point is I was a *bad* player and I could have easily lost > $400 in an 8 hour session.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:52 PM

Barry Greenstein mentions that he has sat in a highstakes game with Gus Hansen and seen him lose 1.000.000$ and then win it back during a session .. not once, but three times
Old 12-10-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the 4/8K game, the maximum buyin is what? 800K?

So a really horrible night at the table would mean a loss 3 or 4 million?

[/ QUOTE ]

why would there be a maximum buyin in a limit game?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:14 PM

It looks from the posts that this $4k-$8k game is a limit game. If this is the 'big' game where all the pros play against each other once a week, then I wonder why they choose to play limit over no-limit.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In $4k/8k, $1m would be 125 big bets. That is an unbelievably brutal beating. It's a bankroll buster. I've never lost 125 BB in a session in <i>any</i> limit I've ever played, and I have had some major spells of running bad. Even bad players have to work very hard to blow off this much.

If Negreanu went off for this much, he must have either have been steaming, or he might have been playing shorthanded. Even shorthanded, this is a major butt whooping.

[/ QUOTE ]

The big game is quite often short handed, and they also mix in some NL games in addition to PLO.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure thats why he no longer plays there...everyone was just too afraid of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

While Moneymaker seems to be a substantial underdog at this game, I assume that better players shouldn't try it either. It is rather obvious that Doyle, Chip & Co. are partners sitting there all day long waiting to trap someone.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:32 PM

Pretty sure he had a bet w/ Barry Greenstein on how much he could make and he made like 100k in less then a month or a couple of weeks or something like that. Wouldn't be surprised, anytime I have seen him online he has been killing it.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:35 PM

What you have to remember is that in the "Big Game" that Ivey plays in you HAVE to outplay your opponents to win chips. In the games most of us play in you can sit back and capitalize on our opponents mistakes. Playing bad starting hands makes it easier to deceive opponents when the low cards catch the flops.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The big game is quite often short handed, and they also mix in some NL games in addition to PLO.

[/ QUOTE ]

typically H.O.S.E. or H.O.R.S.E. (all limit 4k/8k)+ 2-7 t.draw (played no limit, with a max of 100,000 per player in the pot) + NLHE (same max) + PLOhigh
also sometimes with chinese poker at 1k per point i guess. . .
one rotation of each game. . .

or so i've heard, of course i dont play in that game.

B