Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Adventures in NL - 99 hand

Hey all,

I'm a newb to this part of the forum. Been trying my hand at low limit NL, instead of my traditional limit game. I'm finding myself in a lot of situations that I don't feel comfortable pushing my hand in. Ah, the safeness of the limit structure....

Anyway, here's a situation I've found myself in occasionally. What's the best line?

$.50/$1 blinds on PokerStars. Table has been loose PF, even to a raise.

Donkish player opens for $3 in EP. This raise doesn't mean much necessarily. Earlier he check-raised with top-pair with ATo, then called my all-in bet with my overpair.

I call with 99 in MP. One other caller, and the BB calls. First, is my call OK? I had $75 or so in my stack at the time, PF raiser has me covered.

Flop of 852 with two hearts. I have the 9 of hearts. BB checks, and the PF raiser bets $6.

What's my play here? Standard line is.....?
Old 11-15-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Adventures in NL - 99 hand

my line would to be raise his bet because i'm thinking he has overcards and missed the flop
Old 11-15-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Adventures in NL - 99 hand

Welcome fellow monkey tilter! Conventional wisdom says that PP from TT on down are best played for set value OOP. The FAQ has a good definition of the 5/10 rule. Your call is fine, especially since some additional callers are coming along for the ride. Your 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on a 4-flush will only get action from a better hand so ignore that possibility.

You want to take down this pot now. Since original raiser's holdings are wide I would probably raise to $25 fold to a re-raise.