Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-14-2005, 01:47 PM

Default River Checkraise

Villain is 33/20/2.7 after 17k hands. All streets are debateable. FPS?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, intending to raise.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 11-14-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: River Checkraise

Is he any good? Players with these stats are usually either very good or pretty crappy postflop. I don't see a strong player paying off your c/r here with TT-KK. And you might miss out sometimes on a bet/3-bet opportunity. If he sucks then I think it's pretty good--however if he sucks then I think you should c/r turn.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:02 PM

I dont really like any of it.
Preflop: There is a decent chance you are 3betting vs a hand that has you dominated.
Flop: You have a strong draw and top pair. Since he capped this is an easy c/r.
Turn: Fine
River: At this point it looks like he has either a Big PP and fears the ace. Just bet and keep it simple.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:04 PM

I dont really know how good he was. To tell you the truth, when I played the hand I didn't see I had boated on the river. But you have a point about bet/3betting sometimes. I think big aces will 3bet a checkraise sometimes too though. I think you're right that a turn checkraise is probably the best play against most players. Or a flop checkraise since TT-KK is rarely folding and I have a lot of outs against big aces.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:07 PM

Btw, was this NemesisXXX?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:09 PM

no
Old 11-14-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont really like any of it.
Preflop: There is a decent chance you are 3betting vs a hand that has you dominated.
Flop: You have a strong draw and top pair. Since he capped this is an easy c/r.
Turn: Fine
River: At this point it looks like he has either a Big PP and fears the ace. Just bet and keep it simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have much to add except that I aggree with this guy. I call from SB, c/r flop, lead the turn and river. Checking that river -- you run the risk of having it checked behind toooo often.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:45 PM

what about check raising the turn and leading the river?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:55 PM

I think I normally check raise the flop, as you have about a 75% equity edge here. If you wait, and get a blank turn, your equity is 70%, but the bets are bigger, so maybe it is worth it to just check raise the turn. Since he is pretty LAGgy, the risk of it getting checked through is much less.

Preflop: Against someone who raises about 40% of their cards preflop, A6s has 52.5% equity, plus initiative. But, you are out of position, which makes things much tougher. For comparison, I will give you some other equity against buttons raising range.

A6o: 49.7%
A7o: 51.2%
A8o: 53%
A9o: 55%
ATo: 58%

A7s: 53.8%
A8s: 55.6%
A9s: 57.5%
ATs: 60.5%

I think this illustrates how quickly our equity deteriorates as we move down the rung of kickers. A6s still may be marginally playable if your opponent tends to make enough postflop mistakes.