Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-16-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Classical buffs - Identify this piece

This file is by Chopin... played for piano and violin but I believe it was originally a nocturne written for solo piano, with the melody later being fit to violin accompanied by piano. I've looked around a bit but haven't found the original piece (I got it off file sharing years ago and it was poorly titled). Anyone want to show off their knowledge?

(Even if you can't identify it, this is a beautiful piece which you might want to listen to & enjoy.)

HERE IT IS
Old 10-16-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Classical buffs - Identify this piece

Nocturne for piano No. 7 in C sharp minor ('Les plaintives 1') Op. 27/1, B. 91

I was thinking it was gonna be something more obscure [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. This is one of his better known pieces, it was played all the way through in the climax of "The Pianist" to great affect; people may recognize it from this movie.

I had never heard this violin version, I like it a lot, but I like the solo piano version beter.

To people who like this, you should listen to more of Chopin's piano stuff. I dont like a lot of classical music, but I have 40 Chopin songs on my ipod. Frankly, he rocks.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:52 PM

Thank you very much. Obviously I've never seen the Pianist or I would know this. I don't get out much these days.

For someone with a degree in music I know woefully little about classical. Mostly jazz and modern chamber music.

NT
Old 10-16-2005, 08:56 PM

BTW, would you recommend a particular version? I have mostly listened to Rubinstein's versions of Chopin and always loved them.

NT
Old 10-16-2005, 09:09 PM

After hunting this down on allofmp3.com the title I get is No. 20 in C# Minor, Op. Posth.

NT
Old 10-16-2005, 09:12 PM

I know almost nothing about classical music, and could not name any concert pianists off the top of my head. The few piano concerts I've been to were amazing, and I wish I knew more about the subject. There is almost assuredly a better version out there I don't know of.

I have 3 versions of this song, and out of these, my favorite is the one off this album. The sound quality is a tad worse then the other version I have but this guy is really passionate about his chopin, and it comes through. I like all of Chopin's minor stuff more then his major stuff on this album and in general, although the more I listen to the major pieces the more I appreciate them.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:17 PM

I think there are some inconsistencies in the naming of Chopin's pieces. The title I listed is on 2 of the 3 version I have (3rd is untitled).

Edit: I just looked on Amazon for the album I referred to earlier. In the tracklist they don't have any number for the track, just " Nocturne In C Sharp Minor, Op. Posth.".

Also I was wrong about it being on 2 of the version I have. It is only on 1.