Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 05:50 PM

Default 5/10 Live Hand

I've played somewhat with villain before. He's pretty loose and makes very marginal calls pre flop with hands like KTo, J9, QT, AT and other garbage. He also slow plays a lot.
He probably views me as a LAG capable of opening with any two from MP.
I have $1800, villain $1500.

Were 8 handed, I open to $40 in mp with AKo. Villain calls MP+1.

Flop comes:
889r

I bet $60, he raises to $200, I call.

Turn is 9
I check, he bets $300, I call.

River 3
I see him reach for some black chips, and I start thinking this is going to go check check, and were gonna split this pot. He might try to push me off with 44-77 but I'd hate to call a big bet with ace high, and he might lay down TT,JJ if I make a big bet.

So I bet $800, thoughts?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Live Hand

[ QUOTE ]
So I bet $800, thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like money, do you?

I fold to the initial flop raise. Against a loose aggressive, it's best to pick your spots. Patience is best exercised against them. You really have no hand here. Save the times to make bluffs against more solid thinking opponents.

Garland
Old 10-16-2005, 06:24 PM

If villian is loose and makes calls with hands such as J9 pre-flop as you say, i dont understand the line your took. He could easily have an 8 or 9 is his hand if he called with suited connectors or even suited one gappers. Its very possible he doesn't think you hit anything and is trying to push you off your hand, but do you really want to make a stand with A high here against an opponent you can't really put on a hand? I would have folded to the flop re-raise, and if you called that, then lead the turn. As it played out, lead the river and fold to a raise.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As it played out, lead the river and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly. The pot has $1095 in it and villian has $960 left. Any legit bet hero makes would basically pot commit him. This is a clear check-fold scenario.

Garland
Old 10-16-2005, 06:34 PM

Didn't see the stack sizes when i first posted that, check-fold. Shouldn't have got that far with A high anyway was my main point.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:35 PM

Actually I like money a lot. Which is why I called the flop raise, if you routinely fold to flop raises you are going to get run over a lot waiting for the nuts. Anyway, my inital plan was to lead the turn, but if he held something like 44-77 or garbage I was pretty sure he was going to fire again.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:41 PM

I just want to add, getting run over in live play hurts a lot more so then online play. Espcially if your going to play with the same people over and over again.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is why I called the flop raise, if you routinely fold to flop raises you are going to get run over a lot waiting for the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all fine and good, if you actually had some sort of hand. Note: I'm not advocating waiting for the nuts, but perhaps...a pair or some sort of draw? I hate calling the flop raise and turn bet. Consistently calling is a losing method of poker.

How's this as an alternate line if you insist on continuing with this hand beyond villian's flop raise: 3-bet him to $500? If he calls or re-raises, you can be pretty sure you can give up the hand confidently. I think that's a better use of $300 than check-calling the turn.

Garland
Old 10-16-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I like money a lot. Which is why I called the flop raise, if you routinely fold to flop raises you are going to get run over a lot waiting for the nuts. Anyway, my inital plan was to lead the turn, but if he held something like 44-77 or garbage I was pretty sure he was going to fire again.

[/ QUOTE ]

although you have a point, I think calling raises with no pair or draw even against someone who may be fluffing you from time to time cannot be good
Old 10-16-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if what you're saying is true, and you wanted to make a move/take a stand, you should've reraised BIG on the flop...