Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Flopped trips

Live $5-$5 game, table broke up early and we've been 5 handed for about an hour now, I've been very aggressive in my post flop, though any hands I've shown down has won.

utg folds, villain makes it $30 to go, I call on the button with A8s, blinds come along.

Villain in this hand is very tight he has JJ,QQ,KK,AA,or AK here I'd say 90% of the time, very unimaginative. He can also be easily pushed around facing big bets. He's the type that's always worried about monsters that aren't there.

Flop comes:
9c 8h 8d

Checked to villain who bets $75 I make it $225, blinds fold, villain quickly calls.

Turn 5h
Villain checks.

At this point I have $1200 and he has $800 left.

If your betting how much, if your checking what's your plan for the river if
A. Broadway card hits and he bets $400
B. Blank and he checks to you.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Flopped trips

i like an overbet all in here. makes it look like you're trying to push him around when he may be aware of his pushover type image. but the stack sizes are such that it's hard to get it all in in a smooth manner.

if i check here, i'm not folding to a 400 bet.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Flopped trips

with 570 in the pot and him only having 800 more behind, with two streets of action, you are going to be getting his money anyhow.

this is of course assuming he has a solid overpair here, and with your notes, and the fact he called the healthy flop raise (thus ruling out AK), he does often enough.

there isn't much merit here to checking behind to indicate a bluff with your flop raise, since you note you have mainly shown down winners and not been caught making big moves.

i would probably make a moderate size turn bet of about 350. this will make the river pot size 1270, leaving him with 450 behind. and not even the weakest-tight opponenets are often making that big laydown with an overpair with that board and that price.