Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 09-20-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Translating Harry Reid

Harry Reid: "No one doubts that John Roberts is an excellent lawyer and an affable person," Mr. Reid said on the Senate floor. "But at the end of this process, I have too many unanswered questions about the nominee to justify a vote confirming him to this enormously important lifetime position."

"The question is close," Mr. Reid said, adding that the arguments against the nominee "do not warrant extraordinary procedural tactics to block the nomination."

Translation: "Fellow democrats, Roberts is a fine nominee and probably the best we will get, but lets cover our asses anyway in case this turns out bad. Mr. Bush, we will filibuster if the next nominee is markedly more conservative. The ball is now in your court."
Old 09-20-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Translating Harry Reid

More like,
"John Roberts wouldn't really answer any of our questions during the hearings. I don't feel comfortable appointing such an unknown quantity to be Chief Justice for the next 30+ years. We'd lose a filibuster battle, so I'll cast a symbolic vote against him."
Old 09-20-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"John Roberts wouldn't really answer any of our questions during the hearings just like Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I don't feel comfortable appointing a Republican nominee to be Chief Justice for the next 30+ years. We'd rightly lose a filibuster battle, so I'll act like a petulant child and cast a symbolic vote against him since I’m not up for re-election in 2006"

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More like,
"John Roberts wouldn't really answer any of our questions during the hearings. I don't feel comfortable appointing such an unknown quantity to be Chief Justice for the next 30+ years. We'd lose a filibuster battle, so I'll cast a symbolic vote against him."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Up until today, all indications were that Reid was quite happy with Roberts as a nominee and rightly so, given the alternatives.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:01 PM

Translation -

"It's not about the nominee, it's about me. Pay attention to me. I'm still here, and I have power. I'm going to let it go this one time, but if you don't start paying attention to me, I'm going to get really pissed."
Old 09-21-2005, 12:54 AM

Reid is only posturing by opposing Roberts. Since he opposed Roberts on whom they could find no dirt nor compelling reason that he is not qualified, Reid is sending the signal that anyone whose conservative views are more well known than those of Roberts will similarly be opposed for O'Connor's replacement even probably to the point of a filibuster.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Bush, we will filibuster if the next nominee is markedly more conservative. The ball is now in your court."

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad Otto Von Bismark is dead. He would be my first choice.

-Zeno
Old 09-21-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we will filibuster if the next nominee is markedly more conservative.

[/ QUOTE ]More conservative than what? What do you think you know about Roberts?