Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Turned a boat, should I fold?

5/5 6 handed. A couple of limpers to the c/o who makes it $20 to go, I call on the button, with.
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Blinds and limpers come along.

Flop comes T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Turn is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets $140, is it too weak to just fold here?
Old 09-04-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Turned a boat, should I fold?

Fairly common for players in EP to check to the PFR, hoping to checkraise a strong hand. Is the BB likely to bet out with trips here? T9 is a very likely hand. Unless you have a very good read on the BB, I'd fold.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:05 PM

Do you have any reads on him?

I'd probably fold here but i'd have to think about it if he would bet out with the set here.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:43 PM

Was it checked down on the flop? It seems strange for someone to slow-play a full house on the flop, and then go full guns on a seemingly blank turn. You know that the 3 was unlikely to help him (though I guess you have to consider if he's holding a T3).

That looks like one of those hands that I'd have to fold but would be wondering about for awhile.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:41 AM

You really do need to describe the flop action in any hand although it seems it was checked around. Underfulls are a good way to get busted unless you can put a preflop raiser on AA that didn't help and won't ever fold it. You can't beat TT, 99, T9 or T3 here, and if you call are building a pot where he can make an even larger river bet, and thus can only hope for checked river which isn't sure. Plus if any other broadway card comes on the river it could make him an even bigger full and you will have no clue. Although if I hit a flop that filled me I would most always bet it, especially with 99, lots of players will just check it and hope you catch something to get you in trouble like an 8 when you hold T8 and they have T9. Often a player with a hand like T987, especially out of position, might not bet it on the flop fearing to get involved in a big pot with another player who although not full yet has overcards, preferring to wait and hopefully see a small card on the turn. Don't think twice about folding this.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:50 AM

You are mathmatically a favorite to have the best hand, as most players would bet trips here. Since the player was in the blind, he is less likely to have a fully coordinated hand making it less likely he is full or has 3 live kickers.

Folding is certainly reasonable as he is betting into two players (the limpers) who could have been going for a check raise on the flop, and the PFR and yourself who could have been trapping. Also, you will need to fear every river card since he probably has a three card hand ie QJ10x.

You can call to see if he likes his hand enough to bet the river. If he checks the river, you should probably bet for value.

You can raise to get him to lay down trips without live kickers, or to make him pay to draw. Easy fold to a reraise.

Reads would help. Stack sizes?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:36 PM

Sorry flop was checked around. BB is someone I would call a smart LAG. LAG had $600 after his turn bet, I had him covered.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:22 PM

A LAG (smart and otherwise) will bet a lot of hands other than the nuts here.