Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Joel-Peter Witkin

His photographs sell for thousands. He is a master printer on par with the best ever. Some people have problems with his work because of some of his "props".
What do you think?

WARNING: What you are about to see is real. If you see something that looks human, it's real. Click on the main image in the link to view the slide show.

And now, without further ado... NSFW
Old 08-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Joel-Peter Witkin

Eh, I view artist like this on the same par as Marilyn Manson, they are only popular because the people who are fans are a niche group, and its contrevorsial subject matter.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:28 PM

Your statement is certainly true of Manson. His fans are genre specific. I'm not sure you can say the same about Witkin. It could be said he might be doing this to draw attention to his work. People who enjoy photography though are comfortable crossing all sorts of genre lines. For instance, people can appreciate a photojournalism photo as well as an art photo. But people who enjoy Clapton may not be down with Manson.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:40 PM

I know what you are saying, but I dont agree with that concept, personally. I think that for the sake of photography, those pictures are very well done, and they do cause you to think etc. But I just never saw the point of attention for attentions sake. He could probably do great work, without being so "out there" for lack of a better term. I just think that sometims, by doing subject matter like that, a person is "trying to hard" or something. I know what Im thinking in my head, I just cant put it into words while playing my tables. But overall freakiness factor aside, it makes you take a close look, and they are thought-provoking.

Yes, came up with it. I put some of those pictures on the same level as Magritte, whos work is among my favs, but he didnt have to be so contreversial to produce good stuff. I just think that in todays world, attention = good art, not good art= good art. And since I dont know much about this guy, I cant see where he is comming from.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:50 PM

I understand your "trying too hard" point. There's a good thread on this topic currently at a photography forum I frequent.
Witkin had or has some sort of deal with the Mexico City mourge that allows his access to his subjects. I don't think it's particularly cool. I wouldn't want this to happen to my loved ones. That and the fact he lists the location of the photos as New Mexico. They may have been printed there, but no way would this be allowed in our country.