Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 01:04 AM

Default 5/10 6 max Hand

Thought I'd give online poker a try again. Playing live defnitley kicks ass. Anyway hand converter doesn't seem to work so I'm just gonna paste the hand summary. You can discuss all streets if you'd like but I guess I'm intrested in the river the most.

***** Hand History for Game 2534928930 *****
$1000 NL Texas Hold'em - Sunday, August 14, 17:10:07 EDT 2005
Table Table 55675 (6 max) (No DP) (Real Money)
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 4: Villan ( $3833 )
Seat 6: Hero ( $3653 )
Seat 2: PushPushPush ( $1349.75 )
Seat 3: shuhao2 ( $1329.50 )
Seat 5: janen30 ( $544.39 )
Seat 1: tadoams ( $250 )
janen30 posts small blind [$5].
Hero posts big blind [$10].
tadoams posts big blind [$10].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Jd Jc ]
tadoams checks.
PushPushPush folds.
shuhao2 folds.
Villain raises [$45].
janen30 folds.
Hero calls [$35].
tadoams folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Th, 3s, 5s ]
Hero checks.
Villain bets [$75].
Hero calls [$75].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Tc ]
Hero checks.
Villain bets [$175].
Hero calls [$175].
** Dealing River ** [ 3d ]
Hero bets [$200].
Villain raises [$800]

Hero???

Villain in this hand is a loose maniac who open raises any time it's folded around to him in lp. He'll bet any flop that gets checked to him if he OR pre flop, but usually slows down after meeting resistance on the flop. There's also a small chance he might be on tilt as he lost a $600 pot a couple hands a go when he bet the river got raised and folded.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: 5/10 6 max Hand

As played and with your reads, I call the river.

As far as lines go, for some reason I like a stop and go on the turn here. The T is a good card for you and should freeze him a little. If he calls, you can check/call a river bet. If he raises turn, you have a tough decision and can probably fold being out of position with the threat of a big river bet.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:09 AM

if he is really a maniac your equity on that river cames from check-calling
Old 08-17-2005, 07:15 AM

He has slowed down u said when he met resistance on the flop.. when the turn is a 10 and he still doesn´t slow? in spite that the ten should be a scary card for him..

I dont think i would have made the play u made by calling turn and then betting put on the river.. not unless if i had already decided that i would call a reraise from him.
the bet on the river is only going to be called if u are beat and has poor risk/reward ratio.
i think that if u call on the turn it should be with the idea of check-calling ont the river to make extra money if he is bluffing.

I think the better play is to checkraise on the turn (u are happy to take the pot down right?).
If he calls here u are certainly beat. either by higher pair or by somthing with 10.
by only calling on the turn u give him a chance to outdraw u if he has two overs. i cant see any gain by calling the turn.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:03 AM

Normally I reraise preflop, but I have to have reads of an opponent to do that and with your stack postflop against this guy, playing a big pot with JJ oop would suck so the call is fine. I lead the flop here though a large % of the time. Since you didn't, a turn check-raise here would be perfect, that T is an awful card for him. I can't see calling that river raise, he is representing a hand that beats JJ. On the river did you suddenly think you were good, Or try to block him from coming over the top? I think it's smarter to check the river against a lag like this.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:03 PM

Well actaully in this hand I was the villain and I held 46 in my hand. When he bet that small on the river I figured he had a small pp that was looking for a cheap showdown. He of course called my raise. In a live game I'd be able to get something out of my opponet that would let me put the most pressure on him if I felt he was weak. Online you just cant do that so I went with a weak raise, I really feel like I botched this one up I don't think he'd be a able to call a $1200 raise. Anyone play this differntly?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:49 PM

Assuming your opponent isn't horrible and he reads you for a maniac, I wouldn't attempt a bluff raise on this river as he's more than likely going to call with any hand he's holding. Planning to lead this river vs. an aggro opponent then fold if he raises (whether to $800 or $1200) is really awful. The alternative line of CHECK-CALL is vastly superior.

IOW, I don't like the bluff in this context
Old 08-17-2005, 09:01 PM

" i cant see any gain by calling the turn. "

How about.. his opponent is holding nothing and bets with it often enough that check-call, check-call on the turn/river is the most profitable line? This is not only possible but likely vs. someone aptly described as a 'maniac'.

"OPPONENT HAS <10% EQUITY ON THE TURN 90%+ AND WILL ALWAYS BET THE RIVER" = check-call! check-call!