Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 12:13 PM

Default My shitty 1/2 6max stats (help please)

First off I'm sorry for the large image sizes. I hope they aren't too blurry to read.

I know that my sample size is pretty small, but it's starting to get costly to learn short handed so hopefully I can get a little help now.

I also know my VPIP is way too tight, but in the last ~1,000 hands I've had it around 26% so it's doing a little better.

I've also noticed that I'm losing a lot in the blinds. I'm not sure if this is normal, but if anyone can point me to some good blind play threads I'd appreciate it. I'll look for some myself, but if you know of any good ones please post a link for me.

Please rip me apart for anything else I'm doing wrong right now. I just can't seem to get this game down. It's so frustrating. It feels like 90% of my opponents have no clue how to play decent poker, but they still take my money.

Thanks for taking the time to look these over.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: My shitty 1/2 6max stats (help please)

My analysis:

Fold less to river bets. More like 40% instead of almost 50%.

Defend your blinds more.

Steal blinds more, especially if the BB is <30 VPIP.

Calm down a bit, your numbers suggest hyper aggression. You cant make people fold middle pair much in this game so just try to make solid value bets as opposed to pushing people off marginal hands.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 PM

A few things I noticed:

1. You aren't making it to enough showdowns. Relative hand values in shorthanded play are higher, especially HU. If you raise A9o on the button, and the BB calls - the flop comes K97 we should be betting for value (all 3 streets possibly.) I forget who wrote it, but there was a good SH article that said to play the board as if the top card was missing. If you've got top pair, treat it like an overpair. Middle pair, treat it like top pair. Etc. This brings me to...

2. You may be missing river value bets. Are you checking behind with decent hands on the river? 2nd pair, middle pair, top pair on a scary-ish board? These guys call with any and all pairs.

3. Raise more preflop, especially on the CO and button after very loose limpers. If a superfish limps, don't overlimp with A9s, raise to isolate. Tight blinds will fold, and you'll be HU with a passive player and your hand has showdown value. Loose blinds will call with weaker hands and you'll be in position in a decent sized pot with a strong hand.

Your blind stats look good. Don't worry about "Defending" them at the 1/2 - most of the raises are legitimate there.

Also, don't get caught up in the "my VPIP is too low!" trend that is going around. Playing 21-23% VPIP is perfectly fine at shorthanded. Get the game down before you add marginal situations.

Post some hands...postflop is way more important and stats are insufficient to determine if you are making big mistakes there. Good luck!

Surf
Old 07-18-2005, 12:37 PM

It seems like your VPIP is very similiar for the first 3 positions: 20.51 (button), 20.18, 20.07.

If you are valuing position properly, you would expect to see a bigger drop off here: 23/20/17 or something.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forget who wrote it, but there was a good SH article that said to play the board as if the top card was missing. If you've got top pair, treat it like an overpair. Middle pair, treat it like top pair. Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is in the SH section of HPFAP.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:43 PM

An aggression factor of 4 on the flop is pretty high, especially at 1/2. It's hard to say whether you're overplaying hands or folding too often when you should be peeling off a bet on the flop. Probably a bit of both.

A low WtSD + a high W$SD = you're folding too many winners.