Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 06-15-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Any review on the Gus Hansen and the Phil Gordon DVDs out yet?

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I got HoH and I LOVE it! The point is that there is a bit of math, but not that much. Maybe part 2 is different.

Bloch had a chatlog on his webpage where he is talking about the Simplex algorithm helping him to solve poker problems. That goes very deep and I assume it has something to do with Chris Ferguson's approach to the game. It is stuff like this that I am talking about: http://www.math.ucla.edu/~tom/papers/poker2.pdf
I'd like to see a practical application of such a theoretical approach.

I should add that one of von Neumann's game theoretical conclusions is, that his simplified poker model favors the player who is acting first. This is exactly the opposite of what we know as the advantage of acting last. Food for thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jerrod Ankenmans and Bill Chens book will be of interest to you when it eventually comes out.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Any review on the Gus Hansen and the Phil Gordon DVDs out yet?

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you are going to see much like this in any publication and there is near-0 chance of seeing this in a DVD. Not because it is "secret," but because it is above most people's heads. Even people who have done or looked at analysis like this are likely to publish the simplified conclusions rather than all the math behind those conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or we might spend sixty pages in a book discussing it.

By the way, I'm pretty sure von Neumann had the guy acting first with the only bet option and the other guy could only call. So of course the 'first player' had the advantage. We actually treat this differently, call it a "half-street" game, where the first dude has to check dark. Then the advantage falls to the button as usual.

By the way again, there's a slight "game of chicken" effect to jamming your chips into the pot headsup in a NL tournament, because you force the guy calling to decide whether to redistribute some of both of your equity to the other players in the tournament. However, except for this effect, there is NO game theoretical advantage to "right of first bluff."

Jerrod Ankenman