Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-05-2003, 07:36 PM

Default How would Jesus react?

The USA plans to drop a minmum of 3000 bombs on Iraqis in the frist two days of the conflict. Collateral damage for these first 2 days is estimated to be between 200 and 250 thousand civilians. The number of refugees created in this time period will be an estimated 2 million.

Do you think Jesus will be satisfied with this death toll, or do you think he would weep? Would he cheer on the Bush doctrine of murdering innocents in order to control 1/8th of the world's developed oil reserves, or would he suggest that the perpetrator is a servant of Satan?

I don't know what Bible they read in the White House, but all the editions in the English language contradict the current policy of first strike. Jesus said to turn the other cheek.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:00 PM

Default Re: How would Jesus react?

I've read widely varying estimates, and some of the premises used to produce these estimates of casualties involve scenarios which may in fact never come to pass. My own guess is that, barring Iraqi first use of WMD and subsequent US retaliation, the actual casualties will be far lower than these figures.

Religion and war don't mix well philosophically today (except for Islamic jihadi warriors). I think Jesus would neither engage in a first strike nor even in self-defense if attacked. Muhammad on the other hand personally led multiple military campaigns.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:04 PM

Just did a quick check of public sources. Jesus isn't listed anywhere in either the Department of Defense or on staff to the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I'm guessing this makes it fairly irrelevant what he'd say. For whatever it's worth, 3000 bombs is essentially a non-event. That's 17 4-ship missions. Sounds like a fairly slow afternoon at the war.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:17 PM

i don't think you should downplay how much 3000 bombs/missiles is. That is more than was dropped in 41 days during the gulf war.