Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-24-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Analyzing the flop bet

When someone raises and you call...they usually make a CB. Sometimes it's 1/2 the pot, sometimes 2/3-3/4 the pot, and sometimes less than 1/2.

What does betting less than half the pot usually indicate? Or is it impossible to tell? Any other flop bet reads that exist out there? I know nothing is certain, but hoping for some generalities and how to deal w/ it.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Analyzing the flop bet

In most cases I would expect a draw or just overcards, with the rare case of a monster. I dont think they would play top or middle pair, or an overpair like this. Its hard to tell without giving examples.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:28 PM

Very read dependant. Some bet small hoping to get raised, while others bet small because their hand is weak.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:17 PM

This is opponent dependant, which is why you really need to pay attention to the hands you're not in. Typically an underbet is a draw or a monster, tight players seem to underbet their draws while LAGS underbet their monsters(the complete opposite of what they should be doing). Then their are some players who always bet the same amount regardless of pot size as if they were playing limit, my favorite type of player. It's all about knowing your opponent though. JMO
Old 12-24-2005, 11:11 PM

I think the best thing to assume is a bigger bet means a stronger hand until they prove you otherwise.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:36 AM

poboy is right, it is all about knowing your opponent. If i'm against a player who is generally weak (especially weak-tight), I will often read his 1/2 pot continuation bet as just that, and be more likely to raise on a bluff or semibluff. His 2/3 pot or more bets i'll give more respect to, and his less than 1/2 pot bets i'll almost always try and steal.

Against an aggressive, winning player, I will often read an "obvious continuation bet" (about exactly half the pot) as a quite strong hand, and a larger bet as a standard continuation (weaker hand). This kind of play is a level of thinking above the previous category, so be careful in making judgements on these criteria. As you know, making plays on one level while your opponent is two levels below in thinking doesn't really get you anywhere.

I make this second read because this is often how I play against opponents who seem "solid" but not very good. The kind who read HOH-1 and instantly fire out exactly 1/2 pot at each flop they raised preflop and missed. When in a pot against them, i'll often take actions that they (as a player who thinks they are good, but still have much to learn) will often confidently read as weakness, and play aggressively against me. (like, I flop TPTK or a set, and bet exactly 1/2 pot. EXACTLY 1/2 pot. if somebody recently read HOH, they'll almost certainly raise me because they think they've outsmarted me... suckers.)

A caveat to this advice, I'd probably assume all players at NL25 and NL50 fit into the first category. Trying to make second-category reads will often be nothing more than FPS against most weak opponents, causing you to bluff chips off to calling stations. And if theres anything I HATE, its bluffing chips off to calling stations.