Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-09-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Glitchy internet connection when running bittorrent...

Ever since I bought my new laptop, I've been having flashes of time when my internet stops working. I'm unable to connect to any websites, MSN messenger is unable to connect, LogMeIn (a remote access tool) is unable to connect, etc. I'll be able to surf the web and other stuff for maybe 5-10 mins, then my connection will black out for about 1 minute. This becomes very annoying after a while. I have done enough experimentation to realize that it only happens when I have a bittorrent running. I am using BitComet right now, but I have tried other clients with the same results. Are there any settings I can change that might help my connection? I know the easy solution is to stop running BitComet while I want to surf the web, but I would prefer to have my torrents running 24 hours a day. Any help? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Glitchy internet connection when running bittorrent...

I don't have bittorrent running when I play poker. Sometimes I'm downloading at over 100k a second, and upping to someone else at ~40k/s which causes huge stalls and pretty much makes anything online worthless.

You can set your max up/down speeds in these clients so I suggest you do that or just not run bitorrent when you are playing poker or doing anything online.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:09 PM

I don't think it's this. I've just noticed that during my internet "blackouts", the speeds for all my active torrents goes down to zero. This means my torrents take much much longer to complete. This really puzzles me because it looks like the internet completely disconnects, not my bandwith being hogged by another program. The "blackouts" only happen when I have bittorrent open.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:49 PM

If you have a linksys router, you may have to update your drivers or firmware, but if you have the latest firmware, you may have to go back to a previous version as sometimes the latest version is buggy.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:12 PM

I was having this exact same problem last night -- and I do mean exact -- and it kept me up late into the night. I was finally unable to connect to the internet repeatedly, even after turning the router on and off and my computer on and off several times. An automatic message came up from my 2wire brand router(Yahoo DSL) that I might be infected by a blaster virus, but I downloaded cleaning tools to check, and apparently I wasn't. Regular Norton AV checks revealed nothing.

For some reason, I was eventually able to connect to the net again, but my connection was generally very slow, whether I used dial-up or DSL.

I've left my computer on for weeks, downloading torrents, and never had this problem until last night. I have no idea what's going on, but when I finally stopped downloading the second to last torrent, my connection speeded up again.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:13 PM

Oh, and my torrent program is the burst! one.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:18 AM

When you can't browse the Internet, what do the status lights on your modem tell you? Is the status light still on? Is the Activity light on/blinking? If so, you are probably still connect, you're Internet connection is probably just timming out. You may need to decrease the number of connections your bittorrent client uses.

Take a look at this link, tons of bittorrent client help.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:49 AM

I would try lowering the max number of connections in the torrentclient. Not the max files at the same time you download, but actual number of connections. Or you could try just to get one file at a time with fewer connections (in case you are used to have alot of files download at the same time). If you do not have that setting try capping the download speed. Set it to like 80% of your totalt bw and you should be able to surf without problems. I just torrentstorm myself (I do not use torrents that much) and it has these settings, do not about other clients.