Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-08-2005, 02:26 PM

Default backing up my HHs

I'd like to have some sort of way of backing up my HHs so I can go to sleepat night without any worries. My computer friend some time ago so I lost all my information since I started...

Is there some webservice which I could upload out, etc? Is RAID my best option?

discuss
Old 07-08-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: backing up my HHs

Raid is serious overkill for a bunch of text files. I'd go with a zipped file saved to a CD and sent to a Gmail account.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:24 PM

You can also zip up the pokertracker database, if you use it.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:44 PM

I use IOmega automatic backup. You can filter for just .hhf files and backup at any time interval or whenever the source file changes.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:48 PM

All replies are good advice. I also save them to another drive or two.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:22 AM

I back up several things to a different drive. I wrote a script using robocopy and I copied the music and PT part and pasted below (you will need robocopy to run this, from the resourse kit or d\l from MS). THe great thing about robocopy is that it only copies files that change. I backup about 150GB per night, but only a few mbs change so it only take 10 or 20 seconds.

:Music are all MP3s
echo started music at %date% %time% >> update.txt
robocopy D:\Music G:\Backup_Music /MIR /R:0 /W:0 /V /ETA
echo completed Music at %date% %time% >> update.txt

:PT is poker tracker db
echo started PT at %date% %time% >> update.txt
copy "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\ptrack.mdb" "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\db_copy"
copy "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\hhdb.mdb" "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\db_copy"
robocopy "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\db_copy" G:\Backup_PT /MIR /R:0 /W:0 /V /ETA
echo completed PT at %date% %time% >> update.txt
Old 07-12-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I back up several things to a different drive. I wrote a script using robocopy and I copied the music and PT part and pasted below (you will need robocopy to run this, from the resourse kit or d\l from MS). THe great thing about robocopy is that it only copies files that change. I backup about 150GB per night, but only a few mbs change so it only take 10 or 20 seconds.

:Music are all MP3s
echo started music at %date% %time% >> update.txt
robocopy D:\Music G:\Backup_Music /MIR /R:0 /W:0 /V /ETA
echo completed Music at %date% %time% >> update.txt

:PT is poker tracker db
echo started PT at %date% %time% >> update.txt
copy "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\ptrack.mdb" "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\db_copy"
copy "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\hhdb.mdb" "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\db_copy"
robocopy "C:\Program Files\Poker Tracker V2\db_copy" G:\Backup_PT /MIR /R:0 /W:0 /V /ETA
echo completed PT at %date% %time% >> update.txt

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote (kinda...) a basic script for backing up files at work to my USB drive. It also only copies files that have changed. The only real difference is I used xcopy, which doesn't require any additional downloads. I got the information on the different options (switches? the "/" stuff...) from Windows help (search for xcopy). I've copied it below. Change the first directory to your PT directory (or just the processed hands directory) and the second to the destination and save it as a .vbs file. Change the options as needed. It currently only copies files that have changed since the last update (if any) and only if the archive attribute is set. It looks in subdirectories of the specified directory also. I don't even remember what the other options are.

I don't know a whole lot about how it works because a lot of it was copied from Windows help files and then modified to fit my needs. I was really bored that day...

Dim WshShell

'Create the object that is used to execute the command-line output.
Set WshShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run("%comspec% /c xcopy " & chr(34) & "V:\DWG Register" & chr(34) & " " & chr(34) & "E:\My Documents\DWG Register\" & chr(34) & " /s /a /w /d /y")