Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Default D\'Agostino\'s antics

Anyone watch the US poker championships this weekend on ESPN2. I'm sure it's a rerun but did you see the way that D'Agostino behaved after Hoyt Corkins hit the mother of all suckouts on him? He took the big pile of his chips and just shoved them right into Hoyt's lap. I have to commend Hoyt for not pimpslapping him right out of the room...but he kept his cool and just acted like nothing had happened.

That was a rough beat, but D'Agostino made some real loose calls all day in order to deplete his stack to the point where that loss left him with 1 chip.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: D\'Agostino\'s antics

I saw this tourney for the first time this weekend as well. D'Agostino's behavior was totally inappropriate; I can't say I've seen anything like it. Sure, he made some bad calls and got pretty unlucky in some spots to lose his massive chip lead, but he definitely crossed a line.

For all of Hellmuth's antics, his are at least constrained to verbal muttering and lying down on the floor.

Tom
Old 07-05-2005, 11:40 AM

He didnt make that many loose calls. He lost 10% of his chips with AA when a guy went all in with a flush draw. He lost a chunk of chips when he bluffed at a pot. With a bored of A 9 2 5 A and the gentleman called with QQ. THen hoyt went all in on a blind steal with trash and caught quads. While it was uncalled for Hoyt apologized to him. He would never say anything to John because he knows he did a real stupid thing. Again how would you act. If D'agostino wins that hand the tournament is basically over right there. Again a rude and immature thing to do but again he is 21. BTW i would have punched Hoyt on the flop.....JK
Old 07-05-2005, 12:01 PM

dags went to the final table with more than 3x the player in second place, chip-wise.

hoyt had pushed all-in from his small to steal johns big blind twice already at the final table before that third time with two under cards to dags TT. he ends up flopping trips, turning quads, and as they were figuring out who had more - hoyt requested the chips.

repeat, hoyt requested the chips. he knew he was getting them, but he said something anyway while john was still counting them out to make sure it was an accurate account - all this while still in shock.

i don't think him shoving the chips was right - but anyone who criticizes him for doing it is being moronic in my opinion. put yourself in his shoes for crying out loud. hoyt asking for chips while john was counting them out would have gotten them thrown at him by some people.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:26 PM

John D'Agostino suffered so many terrible beats that day that I can't imagine anyone being able to take that with a smile. Poker isn't a sport for Mother Theresas sorry.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:27 PM

and it would have gotten his ass kicked by some of them. Shoving the chips was way out of line, and he did it after he was done counting. Despite all of hellmuth's antics, it's still just verbal muttering, and walking around....i haven't seen him throw stuff at someone.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:28 PM

he called some big reraies with kj, and called at least one all in with 10 10...up against AA or something like it. His last hand he's all in with 1 chip against KK and he's up against QQ and JJ and they both flop sets...that was rough.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he called some big reraies with kj, and called at least one all in with 10 10...up against AA or something like it. His last hand he's all in with 1 chip against KK and he's up against QQ and JJ and they both flop sets...that was rough.

[/ QUOTE ]

almost each of your critiques of dags play are flawed. he was playing aggressive, in it to win it poker. and playing well i might add. and re-watch it - hoyt asked for the chips from john - it was lowclass. as lowclass as shoving the chips if you ask me.

again - i'm not defending the move - just saying you're being too hard on the guy.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:39 PM

Oh, POOR John D'Agostino. Like nobody's suffered bad beats before. No way in hell Brunson, Greenstein, Ivey, Chan, etc. does a bush move like D'Agostino did there. Understandable that he was upset, but like every other pro hasn't suffered a crushing loss. Hellmuth gets butchered for laying on the floor against Leonidas, but that was nothing compared to D'Agostino's childish move. Thing is, I don't think Corkins really cared about what D'Agostino did. Like any of us, he was just happy to have won the chips.

BTW, Corkins is my hero for pushing from the SB there. He's got nothing to apologize for. That's poker.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:47 PM

When I saw that on TV, I thought just knocking over some chips was relatively restrained. Imagine how Hellmuth or Mike Mattisow react.