Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 03:57 PM

Default FT Bubble - Good or Bad?

Final two tables of Stars $3.30, 11 players left. Villian was I think 5th in chips and I was 8th. Villian has been aggressive since we've gotten down to two tables and limped a good deal and raised from LP a lot. Was this a good push, or should I have just waited for a better spot?

Blinds: 3000/6000, 300 ante.

Relevant stacks before posting:
UTG (Villian): 110K
SB: 18K
BB (Hero): 72K

Villian limps, SB limps, Hero checks with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Would this had been a good pushing spot? Villian had been playing a lot of hands, and I had shown down mostly good hands all night.

Flop (t20,000): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero checks, Villian bets 12K, SB calls 11K all-in, Hero pushes. Good, bad, what?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: FT Bubble - Good or Bad?

Pre-flop the pot is 20k, and your stack is 66k. I think most of the time I'm shoving this pre-flop.

On the flop you have overs and a lovely flush draw. I'm shoving this as well. I want to maximize my FE: if you go for the CR, UTG will often have odds to call, and I don't want that. Let me 'splain, cause I made this mistake a couple of times before woodguy straightened me out:

If you shove on the flop, villain has to call 66k into a pot worth only 86k; a tough call to make if he doesn't have a made hand. If you go for the check-raise, when the pot gets to you, it is 43k; your shove takes it up to around 109k, and the villain only has to call 54k, which gives him odds just a tad better than 2:1. So unless he's got a handful of air if he's coming along, which is bad.

Happy to be corrected, but I think shoving earlier is better.