Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 12:34 AM

Default river bluff

Hi all,

First, a little background on me. I've been playing for 5 years now and I used to post a lot on this forum (2003 and back). I am a winner online from my debut at 10c/25c to 1/2. Last year, I got back to school and basically stop to study poker like I used to. I got satisfied by my skill level and continued to beat stars's 25c/50c and 50c/1$. Since I go to school and only work as a waiter during weekends, I often need to cashout to make ends meet at the end of the month. So basically, I can't get a hold on a respectable bankroll despite having won close to 30k so far (I got less then 500$ roll right now...)

Ressent success of one of my friends, who also post here as "Raven" have motivated me to get back on improving my game and climb the level ladder. I now aim to be playing 2/4 on a regular basis next year at this date. For that, I'll need a roll of around 8k-10k. So, that is my goal for the year and I'll post updates on that from time to time.

Now, to the hand. 1st hand at the table, just posted in LP.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) converter

UTG ($65.45)
Hero ($50)
Button ($66.15)
SB ($84.30)
BB ($24)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $0.50, Hero (poster) checks, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls $1.50, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($5.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5.5</font>, UTG calls $4.

River: ($16.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>

I tought about just taking the free card on the turn but decided to go whit the turn semi-bluff raise. It was to deguise my hand if I hit the flush OR the open-str8 draw/ set up a beliveble river bluff / win right there.

On the river, is weak bet looked so much like a blocking bet I felt the opportunity was good to try to take it from him.

Thoughts?

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: river bluff

I can't fault the play of the hand. I read it pretty much the way you do. I'd muck this kind of trash or bring it in for a raise. In MP I want to steal the Button.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't fault the play of the hand. I read it pretty much the way you do. I'd muck this kind of trash or bring it in for a raise. In MP I want to steal the Button.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my first hand at the table, I was in LP blind so it was a free play
Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 AM

he was possibly on a draw too and your use of position was justified, however, given more thought why are you involved with this hand anyway??
Old 12-20-2005, 12:59 AM

happyjaypee,

low stakes = showdown best hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 AM

Flop: Fold.

Pot odds aren't good, and buddy is either playing a draw of his own, to which you're possibly buggered if you hit, or has TP, which is going to get scared off my most cards in the deck, but is still enough to beat you.

Turn: Call.
The fact that he didn't increase his bet is consistent with the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] draw. You now have 6 legitimate outs, and 9 possibly counterfeit outs. If the flush wasn't potentially poison, I'd like your play. But as it stands, I'd call.

River:
His small bet cries out "Well, I had the best hand, but by now I'm probably buggered." We can now discount the idea he had a draw alone.

He called your river raise, so I don't think it's all that likely he's going to fold here. I think you'll get called down with K9 or Q9s. He's faced with putting down $10 to win $36. If he had a draw + pair, it was likely along the lines of A8, in which case your buggered.

A lot of hand will fold this, but not 5/8 of them. I'd pick a better spot to bluff.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Fold.

Pot odds aren't good, and buddy is either playing a draw of his own, to which you're possibly buggered if you hit, or has TP, which is going to get scared off my most cards in the deck, but is still enough to beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, probably, I was thinking that we may get some loose call behind to improve my odds but I reallise that this idea is flawed by the fact that one of them can raise or chase a bigger flush.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: Call.
The fact that he didn't increase his bet is consistent with the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] draw. You now have 6 legitimate outs, and 9 possibly counterfeit outs. If the flush wasn't potentially poison, I'd like your play. But as it stands, I'd call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he really has 2 spades, I got 7counterfeit outs. But here my move also set up the river bluff. But your analyse is true and it's probably close. Besides, i'd hate getting reraised here so you are probablly right again.

[ QUOTE ]
River:
His small bet cries out "Well, I had the best hand, but by now I'm probably buggered." We can now discount the idea he had a draw alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I put him on a single pair, average kicker. I tought he tought he was probablly beat but wanted to have a cheap showdown. He tought that a chk-call was probably going to cost him more so he fired a blocking bet whit the intention of folding to a raise.

[ QUOTE ]
He called your river raise, so I don't think it's all that likely he's going to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean turn call

[ QUOTE ]
I think you'll get called down with K9 or Q9s. He's faced with putting down $10 to win $36. If he had a draw + pair, it was likely along the lines of A8, in which case your buggered.

A lot of hand will fold this, but not 5/8 of them. I'd pick a better spot to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Little pot size mistake here, he needs to call 8$ more to win 28.50$ (3.5 : 1). I know it is still a good price for him but I wanted to make a raise that yells "pls call me". I think that betting big here often induce weak player to make heroic call thinking "that guy must be bluffing" or something.

As I think about it, it brings a couple unrelated points up. here it goes:

flop:
fold, bad price and players yet to speak behind

turn:
close between calling and macking the raise, perhaps someone else can jump in and expresse is opinion.

river:
Disregarding the present hand, do you guys sometime bluff raise/bet an amount that give good odds to your opp to induce the tought that you want to be call, hence provocing a fold? I don't think this line should be standard but is a valuable weapon in my opinion.

thx

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you involved with this hand anyway??

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my 1st hand at the table. I posted in LP and the pot was limped, so I got to the flop for free.