Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 10-02-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Poker Channel?

It seems to make sense with the immense amount of televised tournaments to just make a station dedicated to Poker. Plenty of people would watch it, and I have so many useless channels on my digital cable that wouldn't even be a factor. How long do you think it will take before somebody finally makes a poker channel?
Old 10-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Poker Channel?

Not sure. But they need to make a show dedicated to five card draw to show some REAL REAL REAL REAL REAL poker.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:43 PM

I'm pretty sure there is a poker channel across the pond, you'd think we'd get one here in the states too...

Because who can get enough of Mike Sexton and VVP???
Old 10-02-2005, 03:18 PM

There's TWO poker channels in the UK: The Poker Channel and Pokerzone, and those two do NOT have the WPT.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:55 PM

I dont really know the specifics, but last year Fox Sports was in the process, if not very close to launching, a Fox Sports Poker Channel. However, the kibash was out on it by ESPN. I think because they matched Fox's bid for the WSOP and without that Fox wouldn't have had enough content for a 24/7 poker channel.

I would say that within a year or so a poker channel will be launched.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:57 PM

yep, best channel for poker in the UK is challenge TV. WPT, Poker Den (live 6 seat sngs) UK Open coming up and other stuff I can't remember.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:03 PM

It could easily be filled all day. From old WSOP episodes (2003,2004,2005 main event) to the circuit events this year to the Poker Superstars and WPT to poker shows and poker interviews from the WPT and WSOP as it airs live.

I would expect to see an announcement for it by mid 2006. Give it a little time after the splash that the airing of the 2005 Main Event will have.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:14 PM

Who will be launching this channel? I would presume you think ESPN will be airing it from all the WSOP stuff you mention, but then you bring up the WPT, which ESPN does not have the rights to. You cannot air whatever show you want, whoever ends up launching this channel will have to have the rights to a lot of programming.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:14 AM

Well the Golf and Tennis channel airs from different networks (for golf old NBC US Opens and CBS' Masters coverage), so I am presuming whoever has this has the money to buy up some old poker on ESPN and the Travel Channel.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:32 AM

oh, didn't know that those channels played old stuff, I''ve only seen instructional shows and live coverage.

I hope it does happen, however I dont see ESPN allowing Fox to have rights to show old WSOP shows, Fox allow ESPN to air any of their tourneys, or Travel Channel allow either of the other two to air any old WPT.

IMO, which ever channels starts it will have to have an decent in house library and/or access to lesser known tourneys.