Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 09-28-2005, 04:33 PM

Default sending a huge file to my new computer?

I'm not very computer proficient so bear with me. I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago and I'm trying to get my PokerTracker database from my old PC over to my new computer. The problem is the file is almost 1 GB so I can't fit it on a CDR.

I'm on a wireless network and I tried sending the file over AIM and it was taking forever, it was only going at like 20K/s. I decided just to do that and I left it on overnight and when I woke up there was still about 4 hours left. I then knocked out the chord to my PC and the file transfer cancelled and I have about 780MB of the 1GB file. I tried resuming the transfer a few times on AIM but it wasn't working.

Anyway, anyone know of any reasonable ways I can get this file on my new computer? I'm a retard, yes I know.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: sending a huge file to my new computer?

Zip or rar it and it will be less than 100mb.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is correct. You cannot turn a 1 gig file into 100mbs by just zipping it.

What about burning the file to CD? Sounds too basic for you to have missed. I assume you have no burner?

You could try "spanning the zip", taking the large zip file and breaking it down into multiple smaller files and transfer it that way.

Your send speed is capped by your provider which would explain your horrible upload time. You won't be able to get it over the network any faster.

Try googling multiple zip files.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:18 PM

My 1 gig PT database zips down to 140MG. Don't think they vary too much, so OP should be fine with zipping and then burning.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is correct. You cannot turn a 1 gig file into 100mbs by just zipping it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you can.

[ QUOTE ]
Your send speed is capped by your provider which would explain your horrible upload time. You won't be able to get it over the network any faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be alot faster transfering via Windows Shared files than via AIM. No middle men.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:38 PM

Buy an $8 crossover cable and use the windows nework wizard to network the two pc's. Then share the file and copy and paste it on the new pc.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:39 PM

If you are on a wireless network and your PC is on the same network as your laptop, then if you are using Windows XP, you can easily transfer the file.

You will need two names. The first is the name of your PC. If you see the "My Computer" icon on your desktop, then right click it and choose properties. If not, go to the Start Menu, into the Control Panel, and choose "System"

Either way, now you have the System window open. Choose the tab called Computer Name. That is the first name you need, I'll assume it's called "MyPC"

Now find the folder holding the files you want to copy. Share it by right clicking and choosing "Sharing and Security..." This may bring you to a wizard that will walk you through the process. If not, in the pop-up window choose the "Sharing" tab, click the checkbox to "Share this folder on the network" and then give it a name, or take the default. This is the next name you need, I'll assume it's "documents".

Now move to your laptop. From the Start menu, choose Run...

In the Run window, enter "\\MyPC\documents" or replace with whatever those names were. A new window will open showing the folder's contents.

Grab the file and drag it over.

NOTE It will still be a lot faster if you compress the files into a ZIP or RAR file first. But at least you do not need to fool around with AIM, or mailing it to yourself, or burning a CD.

When you are done, it's a good idea to unshare the original directory.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:41 PM

This is pretty much what I describe, only without the cable (because I assume this wireless network your laptop is through a router that your PC is also using).
Old 09-29-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

The compression varies with the data it compresses, my PT databases usually takes 5% compressed compared to uncompressed, while other data (like movies, witch are already compressed by their own compression alogrithm) won't compress at all realy.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy an $8 crossover cable and use the windows nework wizard to network the two pc's. Then share the file and copy and paste it on the new pc.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far the most efficient and easy way to do this. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]