Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 03-12-2003, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Pocket 10\'s in the BB... how\'d I do?

I would have bet the river as well. I don't know why he didn't bet the river with 2 pair after you checked...

He didn't bet because our hero's postflop play looked like a free card play with diamonds... and diamonds got there. He was planning to check-call.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:20 AM

I would bet the turn to avoid giving a free card, then check it through on the river. I assume you were prepared to call a river bet, given that you set your opponent up to bluff the river?

An added bonus of betting the turn and checking behind on the river is that sometimes when an opponent's drawing hand gets there, they will try to checkraise you, and you can check it through.

-- Homer
Old 03-12-2003, 11:33 AM

Heads up I tend to go full speed ahead a lot of the time, unless I know my opponent is skilled. I get called with nothing but overcards much of the time. However, you are right; he probably should take advantage of his position here and check his 10's.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:25 PM

"...if you want to be good at this game, you got to be STRONG on the turn!"

I'm trying to strengthen my game. If only I could just lift some weights or something. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"BTW, your opponent checked the river because your turn check looked like a free card on a flush draw."

I thought about this before my reply to lil', and decided my opponent shouldn't have been afraid of the flush since I wouldn't want to clear the field on the flop. But now I realize I could very well have played the same way on a flush draw. So I can't really say my opponent played worse than I did. I definately made the big mistakes.

Thanks for the comments,

Morgan
Old 03-12-2003, 01:30 PM

"With only two limpers and SB preflop I think raising with 10's would be a smart play here. Your hand definately figures to be the best at this point."

Hmmm... My play lately has been to play 10's cheaply. Someone pointed out to me that S&M talk about this in their loose games section of HPFAP. However I still raise with J's. And not raising with 10's just feels wrong, so I want to agree with you...

Thanks,

Morgan
Old 03-12-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Results...

"You shouldn't fear being checkraised here one bit! You can just fold. It doesn't cost you any more to find out your hand is no good by betting the turn and folding to a checkraise as checking behind on the turn and calling a river bet."

Thank you for the advice majorkong [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . This makes it abundantly clear to me it doesn't make any sense for me to be checking behind on the turn in this hand. Thanks again,

Morgan
Old 03-12-2003, 01:43 PM

"I would bet the turn to avoid giving a free card, then check it through on the river."

I agree betting the turn is a must. I also am starting to think checking it through on the river might have been good (well, maybe not after checking behind on the turn, but you know what I mean). But there seems to be contrasting points of view on this.

"I assume you were prepared to call a river bet, given that you set your opponent up to bluff the river?"

Definately.

"An added bonus of betting the turn and checking behind on the river is that sometimes when an opponent's drawing hand gets there, they will try to checkraise you, and you can check it through."

I think this is the deciding factor for me on checking the river (assuming I've bet the turn).

Thanks for the advice Homer,

Morgan

p.s. I thought this past Sunday's Simpsons was back up to par. The Fox news bit was hilarious. Also -- what episode does your signiture quote appear in?
Old 03-12-2003, 01:52 PM

I would bet the river for value against certain opponents, assuming the river was a brick. Okay, enough of this poker stuff...

I don't remember what episode my quote is from. To tell you the truth I just thought of the line and went to www.snpp.com (great site) and typed "high-low" in their search engine.

I actually thought last Sunday's episode was horrible, but I am difficult to please. I watch the new episodes every week and wonder why the hell I am still tuning in. It is like watching your favorite athlete, who was a superstar, but is now a few years past his prime. You can't help but watch even though it is painful to do so. You're just hoping to see a nice play that will remind you of his past greatness.

-- Homer
Old 03-12-2003, 02:23 PM

bet the turn when checked to, fold to a raise. If called, check or bet the river, I lean towards checking.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Results...

I am less afraid of being c/raised when I don't have top pair, as often I can let go of it. having top pair heads up, I'm more scared cause a c/raise is going to stick me for another bet. anyway, just close your eyes and bet.