Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Is It Just Me?

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't attempting "to make a case." Nor did I realize I was required to do so. However, I think if you hear his remarks, and substitute "terrorism" for "flu," you may be somewhat surprised at the general tenor and tone. For example, regarding the flu: "We have been given fair warning." By whom? By what? The first part of the plan calls for containment in the country of origin, with funds allocated to help natives deal with the outbreak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your non-attempt at making a case was apparent. You think maybe that had something to do with my post?

I haven't read the FAQ or TOS lately, but I'm pretty sure there's no requirement for you to make any kind of case. But, when I see a thread started in the manner you chose (lack of content), that motivates me to make the type of reply I did.

Now that you've put some substance into the thread I have an opportunity to understand what you seemed to think I should have inferred.

Every politician uses speech writers. Not all politicians are good at delivering speeches. I don't think GWB has a staff of great writers. We all know he's never going to be considered one of the great orators. I suspect his writers sometimes pull out old stuff and change it to fit the occasion. I've noticed other pols, at times, apparently doing the same.

I only heard part of the "Avian Flu" speech. Frankly, I got bored. Also, I really hate to see the man screw up a speech like he seems to, frequently.

The warning he mentioned came, in part, from the people he was speaking in front of. The NIH. Argue if you will as to their credentials and/or expertise.

If action isn't taken in the countries of origin, where should it be? Only in the affected regions? You don't wait for Mad Cow disease to reach Texas when the sick cattle are in Europe, do you?

This is another of those "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situations. If he "gets out in front" and takes action he's accused of being overly cautious and hasty. (or recycling speeches) If he waits for a pandemic he'll be accused of genocide, or neglect, or being un-caring, or anything his detractors can come up with.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or did Bush's remarks on combatting bird flu sound very much like his remarks on fighting terrorism?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a dream: It is a fervent wish and hope that both terrorism and the bird flu reduce the world population by 80% within the next decade.

Le Misanthrope
Old 11-02-2005, 12:48 PM

Politics. Just like the "stunt" Reid pulled yesterday. I'm not saying Reid doesn't care about the second part of the Intelligence Committee report, or that Bush doesn't care about protecting us from the possible spread of the Avian Flu, but it became a big story because Bush needed a big story to show he's being proactive in addressing a problem, and because he needed a counterheadling to the Reid and Libby stories. SOB (Standard Operation BS).
Old 11-02-2005, 04:53 PM

BTW, I wasn't bashing Bush for his speaking prowess. (Hell, if I were called upon to do what he does, I'd doubt I could pull it off. And I do realize that he uses speechwriters.)

Instead, and the only reason for my post, I was struck by the similarity between the rhetoric concerning terrorism and the "threat" of Avian Flu. (How much of a threat it represents, I have no knowledge of.) I think I'll reread "Politics and the English Language."
Old 11-02-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Another shot with no substance. Jeeze, can you not make your point(s) in some small resemblance to a case?

"Where's tha' beef?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Noting similarities in rhetorical technique may not be pertinent to you, but I'm sure some people would find it interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

i noticed that in outlining both of his strategies on terrorism and the avian flu, Bush used lots of words. I many instances he used the same words, such as "the", "and", etc.

p.s. this is not the least bit interesting to me. it's interesting what exactly his strategies involve.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i noticed that in outlining both of his strategies on terrorism and the avian flu, Bush used lots of words. I many instances he used the same words, such as "the", "and", etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

zing
Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 PM

Why don't you lest us know what else you have no interest in? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 11:34 PM

Shouldn't that be: Why don't you let us know in what else you have no interest?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:17 AM

Andy,

I'm jes tryin' to talk like them common folk.