Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Might be forfeiting my WSOP Main Event seat, am I crazy?

For some reason I missed the part that said 'set up for an interview with' and thought they had pretty much offered it to you.

I've had some interviews that I didn't do so hot on where I got offered the gig....and I've had a couple of interviews where I thought I nailed it and did great. The interviewer said they really liked me, etc...but they went with such-and-such guy as a favor to somebody otherwise it would have been me...blah blah blah.

Finishing 2nd or 3rd out of 100+ applicants has been a regular thing for me.

So do we have any idea on what the chances of you getting this job are??
If there 100 applicants for 1 position then we don't have much to worry about yet.

Also - anoter idea would be to accept the job (if you get it) and then say that you WON a trip to the WSOP in Vegas. You had just entered this little internet-'lottery' thing for free a month ago since they were gonig to give a free seat...and you never thought in a million years that you would win it.

Something like that might push them towards letting you go while not getting you into too much hot-water (for keeping the job...getting a good reference out of it, etc etc)

In other words...by not letting on that you won this thing awhile ago and knew about it all along I suggest pretending that it just 'suddenly came up'.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:19 PM

First off an interview does not a job offer make. There's probaly five other guys out there who think they are getting that job too. If they make you an offer accept and say that you need that weekend off to go to your _________ (insert relative or friend here) wedding. You would skip it, but you are one of the groomsman. No way they say no. If you win the tourney then they will be pissed that you lied to them, but you won't care b/c you will never have to win again. Of course, I think MicroBob is going to win so you won't have to worry about this.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:25 PM

Well there isn't many applicants, if any other at all, so the interview may be a formality.
~Justin
Old 05-22-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, I think MicroBob is going to win so you won't have to worry about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

naturally that's a good point.
but jurollo could be the runner-up which would take just as long anyway.

I like the wedding idea the best. It really would be hard for them to say no to that.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:30 PM

Dont give up the seat. You have 40 more years to work (unless you win the big one), so one summer wont make or break your career. If they offer you the job, you obviously were a good enough candidate that they might consider giving you time off for it. If not, I'm sure you could make up the difference multitabling the rest of the summer.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well there isn't many applicants, if any other at all, so the interview may be a formality.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? $20K for 3 months of work and a fairly crummy economy. Find it a tad hard believe.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:41 PM

Is this job a stepping stone towards getting a career? If so take it, if not go to the WSOP.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? $20K for 3 months of work and a fairly crummy economy. Find it a tad hard believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

The salary was listed on the job listing, it is so high because it is a government job, whose salaries are regulated, and it does not include benefits as it is seasonal, hence this inflates the salary.

Fairly crummy economy? Wow you are a conservative and have a bleaker outlook on the economy than this liberal [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bradley,
I do plan on working in a governmental position after college, so any experience within the structure of the government will be good long term.
~Justin
Old 05-22-2005, 11:51 PM

You prob will have about 50 more chances to play in the WSOP...its not haleys comet.

Take the job and then to reward yourself, take a grand of your earnings and play in a WPT event close to you at the end of the summer. Save the WSOP buy in as a graduation/new career gift to yourself when school is finally done.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
take the job and get sick the week of the WSOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i don't know for sure, however, a friend applied for a similar job in another region within Mass and they were against time off. If it comes down to it I believe I will just take the job and cry all week of the main event, then regret it for the rest of my life, hah.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

The things that I regret the most in life were not for the most part the things that I did, or the chances that I too, but the things that I didn't do and the opportunities that I let slip by. I could have changed my life forever a few years out of school and instead went for the "steady employment" and normal life routine. I would give anything to go back and do what I really wanted to do.

Find a way to get the time off, or tell them that you have a "previous commitment" that you must have the week off or you can't take the job.

If you finish in the money at all, that is 10K for a week's work instead of 20K for three months. If you do better, you may earn more than you would all summer.

Even if you bust out the first day, you will have an experience, one that may not come this way again. You can always find another day job.

Take it from someone who "sleptwalked" her way through life way too long; live your dream NOW!

Shauna