Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Advice for college

[ QUOTE ]

Of course. You only go to class for 3-4 hours a day, yo. The rest of the time is yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but you must be careful. With all the time you have, it is easy to blow [censored] off and sya "I'll do it later." Getting behind REALLY fucks you. Stay on top of your work, and your life will be much more enjoyable.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:24 AM

Most of the stuff I am going to post has already been said, but here is my take.

In your first and second semester try to get the best possible grades you can. Math justifies this. If you start with a 3.8 with 24 credits, a 2.0 in a class will not knock you down that much, however if you start with a 2.0 for 24 and you make a 4.0 it will not improve your GPA that much. Start fast and you can slack a few classes off if you choose.

Rush - even if you never plan to join a house do this. It will allow you to meet many people and jump start your social life on campus.

Time management- This is something that will become important for the rest of your life. Learn this skill now. If you have an exam in two days it is much easier to study for a couple of hours over the next couple of days, than to slam 6 hours of studying in one night.

Keep up with you reading - Falling behind in your reading is the hardest thing to catch up on.

Show up to class & answer questions if you can - Popular belief says you are just a number, but if your professor takes attendance, and ask for participation do this it may be the difference in on of those borderline grade situations.

Have fun - always take time to enjoy yourself.

Stick it in as many poopers as you can (but always wrap it up).

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:01 PM

If you have a girlfriend break up with her, especially if you are going to a big school like Indiana.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Show up to class & answer questions if you can - Popular belief says you are just a number, but if your professor takes attendance, and ask for participation do this it may be the difference in on of those borderline grade situations.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is huge. My formula throughout college was to:

1. show up to class
2. sit in the front row
3. participate
4. take good notes
5. review that days notes each afternoon or evening
6. read most of the assigned text - before class... this is how you participate

As long as I kept up with this formula I always did well and had lots of time on my hands to party, ski, hike, travel, whatever.

Reviewing for tests with this formula mostly consists of going over the notes from class once or twice. I always found that information the professor chose to highlight is far more likely to find its way onto an exam than random bits from the text.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:52 PM

Tri-Deltas like to be tied up and take it in the pooper.

Wrap it up.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is huge. My formula throughout college was to:

1. show up to class
2. sit in the front row
3. participate
4. take good notes
5. review that days notes each afternoon or evening
6. read most of the assigned text - before class... this is how you participate

As long as I kept up with this formula I always did well and had lots of time on my hands to party, ski, hike, travel, whatever.

Reviewing for tests with this formula mostly consists of going over the notes from class once or twice. I always found that information the professor chose to highlight is far more likely to find its way onto an exam than random bits from the text.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, working in a pizza joint at which your professor is a regular is an almost sure thing in a borderline grade situation. It's what let me graduate on schedule.

Also, he knows why you don't make his 8am class a lot of mornings.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Matt-

I've always wanted to ask this question. What the h*ll is a degree in Entrepeneurship??? Have you started your business yet?

BTW, IU biz school has a great rep in the mid-west but doesn't carry much cred on the coasts. Don't let poker create too big a gap in your resume - it may be tough to explain when you're looking for some steady employment down the road.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wanted to ask this question. What the h*ll is a degree in Entrepeneurship??? Have you started your business yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny story:

One time I talked to my ex-girlfriend (a dumb whore) about possibly transferring to the entrepreneurship program at Bradley. She said, "Why would you do that? What kind of job are you going to get with a degree in entrepreneurship???"
Old 07-06-2005, 04:53 PM

go to class, be confident- the rest will take care of itself