Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Seriosuly though.....

.....IMO the best thing you can do is study your ass off Sunday through Thursday. Then Thurs-Sat go out and get tanked and have fun. Don't fall into the trap of getting drunk on a Tuesday. There are morons who get drunk every night, and if you are looking for it you can find it. Don't. The weekends (and your whole college experience)are a lot more fun when you have taken care of your schoolwork and don't have it nagging in the back of your mind. Work hard and play hard.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Advice for college

[ QUOTE ]
Well in a month and a half I'll be off to Indiana University for the first college year of my life. Let's hear some college tips / advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's been some good general college advice already in this thread - NoThumb really nailed it, even the 2pm thing. I never went to IU but I lived in Bloomington for many years so here's some advice on how to get the most out of the town.

1. Drink Upland beer!!!
2. You'll need two forms of ID to get into any bars or liquor stores so plan ahead if that matters to you.
3. Spend a summer in Bloomington, do it early in your career and you may never leave. The town really is that great.
4. Drink more Upland Beer.
5. Go to an IU Soccer game.
6. Get to know the community outside the school, there are a ton of great folks there.
7. Ride bikes out to one of the quarries and go swimming on a moonlit summer night. Go with a bunch of friends - chicks are preferable as nudity is always best. Know where you're going first though, none of the quarries are open to the public. And don't be a dumbass, no diving at night.
8. When you get home, lift an Upland Wheat and think of me.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

6. booze and weed if you wanna. all other drugs are for losers.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:07 AM

-Meet lots of people. Don't hold back, the more people you know, the more opportunities there are to do things. What I miss most about college is being around so many people with so few responsibilities. I could almost always find somebody to go eat with, drink with, play Nintendo, play stinky finger with the virgin down the hall or drive half way across the country for no reason.

-Learn to budget your time. If you can do this well, there's no reason you can't do whatever you want, including work 20+ hours, play a sport or party every night.

-Do lots of stupid crap, have fun and be creative. You'll miss it when you enter the real world.

-Skip the occasional class (or day of classes) if you can handle it. I did this often, but kept up with everything. Sometimes you just need a day or week of sitting on the couch with your roommates smoking pot and playing Bond. However, I wouldn't reccomend this right off the bat. First, get the feel of how your classes are going.

-Take electives that interest you. Learning to play raquetball was awesome. My buddy Brian actually got to play D1 hockey for a couple weeks and take the ice vs. Michigan at Joe Lous Arena because one of the assistant coaches knew him from hockey class.

-Join a club sport, best thing I ever did in college. You meet lots of life-long friends, women, stay in shape, lots of road trips & it's good for the resume.

-Don't get yourself into serious money troubles. I have too many friends who built up huge credit card debts or couldn't finish school due to financial issues.

-Do your own work, or at least have people your trust do it for. Don't be like This Girl .
Old 07-06-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well in a month and a half I'll be off to Indiana University for the first college year of my life. Let's hear some college tips / advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's been some good general college advice already in this thread - NoThumb really nailed it, even the 2pm thing. I never went to IU but I lived in Bloomington for many years so here's some advice on how to get the most out of the town.

1. Drink Upland beer!!!
2. You'll need two forms of ID to get into any bars or liquor stores so plan ahead if that matters to you.
3. Spend a summer in Bloomington, do it early in your career and you may never leave. The town really is that great.
4. Drink more Upland Beer.
5. Go to an IU Soccer game.
6. Get to know the community outside the school, there are a ton of great folks there.
7. Ride bikes out to one of the quarries and go swimming on a moonlit summer night. Go with a bunch of friends - chicks are preferable as nudity is always best. Know where you're going first though, none of the quarries are open to the public. And don't be a dumbass, no diving at night.
8. When you get home, lift an Upland Wheat and think of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Word.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:42 AM

Get to class and keep the grades up freshman year otherwise you'll kick yourself your junior year.

Think of it this way. With tuition what it is, figure that skipping a class is the same as buying a $40 ticket to a ball game and decided to nap instead.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:04 AM

Man this thing got massive. One more thing: Will I have time to play some online poker to pull in some extra income? Like, an hour or two a day?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, its been the #1 party school in the country once or twice i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half the schools in the country lay claim to this.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man this thing got massive. One more thing: Will I have time to play some online poker to pull in some extra income? Like, an hour or two a day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. You only go to class for 3-4 hours a day, yo. The rest of the time is yours. You probably won't want to play much though, because you'll realize that going out and doing [censored] is a lot more fun.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker? Is that slang for masturbating or something?