Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: This board makes me laugh (a reality check)

[ QUOTE ]
Bush is a liar, Bush is the devil, etc. He’s doing a pretty good job, not perfect, but it ain’t easy. Over 80% of people like me agree that he’s doing a pretty good job based on the military vote in the last election. I don’t think he’s Abe Lincoln but he isn’t the devil either. Do you think 80% of the people like me are just too stupid to know better, or do we have an informed opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you are stupid or not. You might be, you might not. Is it surprising to you that 80% of people who are like you are also thinking like you? If so, why would that surprise you --- by definition, they are "like you."

[ QUOTE ]
That this is a war for National Survival...

[/ QUOTE ]

What nation? Certainly not ours.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bush is a liar, Bush is the devil, etc. He’s doing a pretty good job, not perfect, but it ain’t easy. Over 80% of people like me agree that he’s doing a pretty good job based on the military vote in the last election. I don’t think he’s Abe Lincoln but he isn’t the devil either. Do you think 80% of the people like me are just too stupid to know better, or do we have an informed opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you are stupid or not. You might be, you might not. Is it surprising to you that 80% of people who are like you are also thinking like you? If so, why would that surprise you --- by definition, they are "like you."

[ QUOTE ]
That this is a war for National Survival...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like me = in the military.

If you don't think there is a threat to our national survival that's fine with me. The fact is that there is.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think there is a threat to our national survival that's fine with me. The fact is that there is.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be a bunch of them.

Nukes in Korea. Nukes in Iran. Industrialization of China.

The response to Iraq violating no-fly zones seems a bit... disproportionate.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The response to Iraq violating no-fly zones seems a bit... disproportionate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iraq did not violate the no-fly zone. They had no air force left to fly. Those aircraft that weren't shot down, long before the no-fly zone was established, were tucked away in Iran, IIRC.

They did, however, fire missiles at our planes patrolling the no-fly zone. And every time they did, that particular missile site was destroyed.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:36 PM

Original poster wrote in part:

[ QUOTE ]
So what is reality? I’ve killed them, they’ve tried to kill me. I’ve talked to them (terrorists, members of AQ) and they are very focused on their mission and commanders intent. Their mission is to destroy our society, one way or another. Western Europe will be right after us, those poor idiots are really in a state of denial. The enemy are very clear about their mission and very focused on making it happen. I'd say being a suicide anything is pretty focused.

What is reality? That this is a war for National Survival, all the bs “background noise” is political fluff on both sides. "Background noise" is all the talk about what "we" should or should not be doing, all the political bs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's clear that OP is referring to the War on Terror when he refers to a war for national survival. With that said you responded:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I think this is the crux of the difference between supporters of Bush policy and those who are opposed. The opponents to Bush policy to a large extent (not everyone who is opposed but IMO at least most of those who are) do not buy into the concept of a "War on Terror" nor do they buy into the concept that the "War on Terror" is a matter of U.S. national survival. Apologies if you were only referring to the war in Iraq but in reviewing the posts in context I assume that you are referring to the "War on Terror" as not being a matter of national survival. I only commented on your post because I think your comments get to why there is a deeply divided nation on this issue.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:45 PM

I buy into the War on Terror. I don't buy that we are struggling against a terrorist threat that could any way threaten our nation's survival. That's beyond hyperbole.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 AM

Agreed.

Not saying that there shouldn't be a war on terror, but the US is not going to cave into Al-Qaida's demands, and we have tech + superior firepower + more forces = teh win.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

Not saying that there shouldn't be a war on terror, but the US is not going to cave into Al-Qaida's demands, and we have tech + superior firepower + more forces = teh win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Al-Qaida + control of a large supply of oil + nuclear weapons + will to use them == utter chaos and mayhem in the U.S.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:52 AM

With Iran and North Korea developing nuclear weapons? With Soviet nukes still unaccounted for? I can only assume you are joking.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't buy that we are struggling against a terrorist threat that could any way threaten our nation's survival. That's beyond hyperbole.

[/ QUOTE ]