Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Nash MVP

[ QUOTE ]
The Heat can win without Shaq.

Can the Suns win without Nash? No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting this? Out of your ass? Check out the Mavs and the Lakers. Check out the rosters. After Stoudemire and Wade, you have the Suns with Johnson/Marion/Q-Rich and the Heat with Haslem/Jones/I cant even name the 3rd guy.

[ QUOTE ]
Shaq is a shell of his former Orlando/LA self.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the fact that Nash was never even in Shaq's universe at any point in their careers, I don't see how this matters. Nash can't play D.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:09 PM

It was Nash for awhile in my book, a few months back. If you really get down to it, it has to be Shaq, like it is every season.

But this season I would've liked Iverson to win.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting this? Out of your ass? Check out the Mavs and the Lakers. Check out the rosters. After Stoudemire and Wade, you have the Suns with Johnson/Marion/Q-Rich and the Heat with Haslem/Jones/I cant even name the 3rd guy.

[/ QUOTE ] word.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:24 PM

Shaq should win the MVP every year but he never plays enough regular season games to get the votes for the award. Plus the Lakers really stunk this year and the Heat went from pretty good to a top 3 team just by adding Shaq. The Suns are just loaded with talent this year too and I still think a number of PGs could win at least 55 games with those players.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:56 PM

The Suns might be loaded with talent this year, but no one picked them higher than 3rd in their division pre-season. Shaq is definately a better player than Nash, heck Nash isn't even the best player on his team (I think that is Stoudemire). Nash has simply given meaning to the word "team" like no one else has this year. The Suns are an incredibly cohesive team, and it mostly comes down Nash's leadership. Oh, don't forget his ability to take over the game when need be.

Arguements can certainly be made for AI and Shaq, but I don't see how anyone could say the vote was wrong when any of the three are named MVP.

It's incredibly close. Do you see why?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:21 PM

Good thing they got it right this time.

WJ
Old 05-06-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where are you getting this? Out of your ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's getting it out of the regular season games where Phoenix was 0-4 without Nash and 0-2 in games where he barely played. Winless. Heat of course won several games without Shaq.

Nash was the Most Valuable Player.

WJ
Old 05-06-2005, 11:35 PM

The Suns' backup point guard was injured during that time as well.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:58 AM

As a member of the working sports media (although not a prominent member, just some small-town hick who covers mostly high school sports), I can tell you with absolute certainty that, most of the time, we are absolutely, positively full of crap. Hell, put 10 sportswriters in a room and give them a week, and they still won't be able to come up with an agreement on what best determines who should be an MVP.

I really wish that ALL MEMBERS of the media be frozen out of these kinds of awards, and instead the leagues give a ballot to each coach and player and have them decide these things. It'd be one thousand times more legitimate that way, and it'd mean more to the players (and coaches) who win these awards.

That being said, as far as what I think about the MVP debate, Bill Simmons summed it up pretty well. (Scroll down until you get to the piece he wrote about Nash.)
Old 05-07-2005, 01:00 AM

I have a hard time with Nash as MVP being that he is horrible on defense but considering that the Suns don't really play much D and still win a lot I guess it's okay