Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 12-25-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Guy brags about having 3 accounts at Poker Stars

Less sharks = noobs lose money slower = play longer. Noobs' relative skill level also goes up, which has a ripple effect of word-of-mouth advertising. Plus, Party knows that sharks are gonna play there anyway, why make accomodations that cost them money? It's true that Party employees are morons, but their business sense is almost so stupid it comes full circle to genius. They are really toeing the line where they make the most money without alienating old players. Party killing rakeback doesn't seem good to YOU, but it is fantastic for them.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Getting screwed pisses people off. High volume players usually make a lot from poker. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them, like me, decided to leave party for Stars even if it's a little -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party doesn't care about high volume players, they care about recreational players. I don't think it would bother them much if the high volume players went elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Costs them money. It doesn't make business sense. It doesn't take that much effort or even intelligence to do enough to keep players that would rather play at your site playing there. The ring games at party are much better then anywhere else. If they had a VIP program like stars or allowed rakeback, I'd play there, but they'd rather not make that few thousand dollars a month in rake I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're ignoring one key element of High Volume, profitable players: They take money out of the poker economy. If it was up to PP, no one would ever cash out and all the money that is deposited would eventually be raked.
So there's a tradeoff there between catering to HV players and casual players. Until you've seen PP's accounting statements and resulting analysis, you cannot make conclusive statements about the profitability of their decisions.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:08 PM

But Party aren't catering to the casuals either as they offer obviously worse bonuses than most other sites.

They only got so big in the first place by offering the best bonuses.

Now they offer the worst bonuses for 1000 hand/month players and have removed rakeback and PT datamining for the 20k hand/month players.

Their numbers will drop off and once PS overtakes them as No.1 site (give it 3 months or so) their USP is gone too..and so will their share price

Once the nos. go the reason for playing there goes too..

They are being a bit too greedy and I'm not convinced that voluntarily giving up the No.1 slot for more profit/player isn;t going to come back to haunt them pretty fast
Old 12-25-2005, 08:24 PM

party only got so big by offering bonuses?

dont think so.

and if that WERE true, then you say that will make stars the leader.

and i can surely understand the logic behind that part of your argument, because stars has SUCH great bonuses compared to party...not!

and the dataming argument. yea sure, stars allows that, unlike party, so they'll overtake party for that reason? not sure that this is correct either.

and to your third point, yea party's eliminated rakeback,so how is this unlike stars?

think you've got some convoluted logic going here, and are basically a stars rah-rah guy.

not sayin that they wont overtake party SOMEDAY, but i dont think so

and one thing for certain in my mind, there's no way they'll overtake party as the #1 site in "3 months or so." i'll gladly cover any action on that, if you want to stand behind your prediction.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:30 PM

What was the ID? Octop seems fine to me.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:46 PM

The Party and skins were always amongst the easiest to release bonuses on the net - that's how they overtook Paradise as the No. 1. Most other bonuses were 10x release, Party and skins had standard 7x (and sometimes 5x to release).

Why else - their great customer support? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As of right now Party has 47,662 online and Stars has 43,618.

Party have basically abolished (or is about to) the three reasons a lot of players would pick them over Stars - good bonuses (for casuals), rakeback (for semi-pros/pros) and datamining (for PT users).
Stars is launching a new VIP program that may well be better than what Party is offering in that regard.
And Stars has lower rake I think as they are 'no flop, no drop' and I don't think Party are (I could be wrong on that one).

Anyone else think 3 months for Party to lose No 1 slot is unrealistic?

As for being an apologist for Stars I actually hardly ever play Ring there - as my $1000 in outstanding bonuses will attest. Their bonus release is one of the worst around for sub $200 NL players and I played at Party, Prima, UB and Crypto mainly over the past 2 years..

I just think Party is blowing it - the markets certainly think so judging by how fast their share price has headed south..
Old 12-25-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sharks are gonna play there anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not
Old 12-25-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Getting screwed pisses people off. High volume players usually make a lot from poker. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them, like me, decided to leave party for Stars even if it's a little -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party doesn't care about high volume players, they care about recreational players. I don't think it would bother them much if the high volume players went elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Costs them money. It doesn't make business sense. It doesn't take that much effort or even intelligence to do enough to keep players that would rather play at your site playing there. The ring games at party are much better then anywhere else. If they had a VIP program like stars or allowed rakeback, I'd play there, but they'd rather not make that few thousand dollars a month in rake I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're ignoring one key element of High Volume, profitable players: They take money out of the poker economy. If it was up to PP, no one would ever cash out and all the money that is deposited would eventually be raked.
So there's a tradeoff there between catering to HV players and casual players. Until you've seen PP's accounting statements and resulting analysis, you cannot make conclusive statements about the profitability of their decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose to judge them on what they put forward for me to see.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I choose to judge them on what they put forward for me to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is perfectly reasonable, but you have to understand that they are making the decisions based on what they see.

They do not care about high volume players for the exact reason mentioned above--high volume players take money out of their little economy. Low volume recreational players just shuffle it around and every time they do Party gets a cut.

And Party didn't get to be number 1 by offering bonuses, they got to be number 1 by having the most advertising on TV during the televised poker boom.

Make no mistake, Party isn't in it for the long haul. Three months might be a little quick for them to get knocked out of the top spot but sometime within the next year or three it's going to happen.

It's really simple, if your business plan is built for the long term you don't build it on crappy software and monumentally crappy customer service.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't like to keep my money in banks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You're retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL