Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

[ QUOTE ]
I was so lazy

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't sound lazy to me at all. You just like to choose your pain. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Good advice thanks. Stretching is important and I know I can't keep up this pace but I'm going to do it till I get really sore. I'm mostly crazy btw. Hope to hear from you every week. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

After the 10 sets from yesterday I rate my soreness level at a 6, one more day and I will need rest.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:12 PM

So you have nothing to say about Bruce's strength being average at best?

[ QUOTE ]
The fight lasting 20 to 25 minutes also seems virtually impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? Eyewitnesses said it lasted 25 minutes.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to learn how to do this, visit here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great site. Psatsoline's stuff is very good, and their forum has great advice.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:55 PM

Aside from Wong Jack Man himself, and whoever this William Chen figured mentioned in the linked article might be, there hasn't been any dispute about the length of the fight being just a few minutes from anyone else.

As to his strength being average at best, there's not much reason to argue the subject, as there aren't credible assertions to that effect, whereas contrarily there are many people still living who assert that he had great strength for his size, including the guy who first introduced him to weight lifting.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:01 PM

Great strength for his size? We weren't talking about "for his size," we were talking about his overall strength. Many people think he posessed some superhuman qualities, but in actuality, his strength is average.

How are you saying there are no credible assertions?

[ QUOTE ]
Based on his exercise program, it appears
he was of below-average lower body strength. According to the strength
training program Lee used during 1965 (Lee, 1989), he performed squats using
95 pounds with 10 repetitions. This would equate to an estimated 1 repetition
maximum (1RM) of 130 pounds (Wathen, 1994), which would place him below the
25th percentile for the 121-140 pound weight class among adult males

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you call that? You think the author is making this stuff up?

[ QUOTE ]
Lee performed bicep curls using a weight of 80 pounds and 8 repetitions. This
would equate to an estimated 1 repetition maximum of 110 pounds and would
place him in the 100th percentile for the 121-140 pound weight class.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is your opinion that the author's claims are without merit and/or evidence.. then I guess we're at a stalemate.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:15 PM

Default update

okay- was a little sore today, but still managed to crank out a few sets. I'm already feeling better about my arm strength, it's supprising how a little work can wake up the 'ol muscles.

It totally FUKED up my pool game, however, and that cost me some free drinks. booooo!guys at the bar were like "what's up B? I thought you were a good player!".... k-holes.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like I need to lower the sets I am planning to do so I don't burn out. And if I stick with it I will get results. I have found this to be true with everything and it is the reason I made the thread. Welcome aboard ripdog it will be harder to quit the more of us there is!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good thread. I was pretty amazed at how quickly I got up to doing 100 when I hit that goal. I think you'll find that if you do too many sets per day, you won't be able to hit your goal the next day. My opinion is that 100 should be pretty easy. I'm adding 5 about every 3 days. I'll let you know when I hit 40 (maybe Tuesday or Wednesday).
Old 06-12-2005, 11:39 PM

I don't think the concept of strength has much meaning at all without relating it to the size of the person. Certainly it doesn't in many athletic events. In both weight-lifting and boxing, the two most related to the subject at hand, people are divided into weight classifications and judged accordingly. I don't know why you'd consider that traditional way of evaluating things of no value, but I don't.

As to a work-out routine with weights, martial artists traditionally do a great deal of high-repetition motions with either no weight at all, or just a few pounds held in the hand or strapped to the feet. Many incorporate limited weight training, but many advise against even that. Their goal is explosive, not static power, and many think pure size is actually working against their goal. There's nothing unusual about a martial artist using light weights; it's the norm. It doesn't really have much bearing on strength.

As to the curl, a 135 pound guy curling 80 pounds 8 times sofr an estimated effective maximum of 110 isn't exactly a weakling. The 100th percentile is pretty good. I have no idea why you're saying a guy in the 100th percentile who can curl an "estimated" weight of about 5/6 of his body weight is of average at best strength.

I don't think your quotes say what you think they do, and the last one actually suggests that you're quite incorrect.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think your quotes say what you think they do, and the last one actually suggests that you're quite incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they do.

[ QUOTE ]
and would
place him in the 100th percentile for the 121-140 pound weight class.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that as he's in the 100th percentile, as in below 1-99th percentiles. Am I reading this wrong? That's also for his weight class, not total averages. All I'm saying is that people overexaggerate Bruce's strength.. by lots.

[ QUOTE ]
or sending individuals (who outweighed him by as much as 100 pounds in some instances) flying through the air and landing some 15 feet away as a result of a punch that Lee delivered from only one-inch away

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit. Find me one reputable source or an eyewitness that says he sent a guy flying 15 feet away from a 1 inch punch. I've seen him perform a 1 inch punch on a random guy and he fell backward onto a chair and then onto the ground. Nowhere near 15 feet.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention some of his other nifty little habits like thrusting his fingers through full cans of Coca-Cola

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that any quick martial artist could do this.

[ QUOTE ]
and sending 300 pound heavy bags slapping against the ceiling with a simple side kick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen footage of him sending his huge heavy bag (I believe Bob Wall made for him as his others kept ripping) into the air, but nowhere near the cieling. And it was not at all a simple side kick. He got a huge running start from off camera.

[ QUOTE ]
As to the curl, a 135 pound guy curling 80 pounds 8 times sofr an estimated effective maximum of 110 isn't exactly a weakling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, but I didn't say he's a wuss. I agree he's not a weakling, but he's defenitely not the incredible hulk.