Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Turn plan

5/10, 6-max

LP (about 50/7 or so) open limps from the CO (we're 5-handed now), I raise on the button with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], SB (about 30/3, moderately aggro postflop I guess, not big read yet) semi-cold calls, BB folds, limper calls.

3 to the flop for 7 SB's.

Flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, SB very quickly calls (I am not much for timing tells but I get a little concerned that he has either trips, a boat, or a flush draw as opposed to peeling with overs or a pair, but I really don't have much to base this on other than paranoia), CO folds.

2 to the turn for 4.5 BB's.

Turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

SB checks, I should...?

Obviously if behind I almost always have at least a few outs, 4 if against a K or A high flush, 11 if against a smaller flush, 10 if against trips. I might be able to induce a bluff on the river if I check in addition to getting a free card when behind, but am I going to be ahead often enough that missing a bet here is just too expensive (given that I don't have that great a read)?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Turn plan

I thinks its premature to assume you are in risk of being check raised. That type of flop is going to invite all kinds of hands to call, and not all players play like we do (check rasing 88-TT, KT etc).

I say bet, and if c/r ofc call and reevaulute when the river comes.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:38 PM

I think this is a great place for a turn check through. You want to show this hand down and a c/r would make you cry. Call any river bet and most likely bet when checked to. I'm trying to decide if I'd raise if villain bets out on a river diamond. If he's non tricky, the optimal line would be raise/fold to a 3bet since his stats suggest passive. With the paired board too though, I'm more inclined to just call a bet.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:53 PM

It's interesting because I was sweating a friend of mine earlier today and this situation came up. He had TT with the flush draw and I tried to explain the things you should consider here.

I can't remember the exact details of the hand, but the board was unpaired and a lot more scary than this board, so I said I thought a check was in order, because a checkraise would put him in a very tough spot on the river when the flush draw missed.

Later I was playing myself, with my friend sweating me, and again this came up, this time I had 88. Here's the hand.

Partypoker 5-handed, Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero raises, 3 folds, BB calls

Flop (4.5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls

Turn (3.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero checks

This is almost identical with the first hand my friend played. You want to avoid getting check raised here, because if the river blanks you don't really want to call the river bet, but you get 8.25 to 1 and it's very possible you have the best hand.

The river was the 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB bet out and I called.

Your hand, however, is a lot stronger than mine was. Without having to make a difficult decision on the river, the check raise isn't nearly as troublesome. This is a bet.