Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: is this forum going to hell?

I was talking about this with thabadguy yesterday, some sort of moderator would be nice. Someone that could kick out all bad beat stories, low limit posts, non-relevant posts, flame wars etc... OOT has like 5 of them, but I doubt any regular here would be willing to mod...
Old 07-11-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal view is that you should have NL25, NL50, NL100, NL200, NL400 at SSNL and NL600, NL1K, NL2K and higher at MHNL. Seems to me like the 400 plays a lot more like the 100 than like the 1K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought a while about this and i say we use these guidelines:

my 5/5 rule

post in MH if ALL are true:

- Stacks >50BB
- Relevant Stacks >$500
- Opponents are skilled

honstly, I've seen a few very good 500BB hands from 1/2 that i think suit this board fine. likewise, i really don't care if you're posting 3/6 with $100 bb stacks.

fim
Old 07-11-2005, 06:36 PM

Default My thoughts

I've been apart of this forum for awhile now and have definitely noticed a decrease in the quality of posts/responses within the last 3 months or so. A lot of this has to do with Party Poker opening up the bigger games, and games online in general getting bigger and bigger. Worse players play them and then post hands from their sessions that for the most part involve very little analyzation and are rather simple. Thus, you see a lot of posts with only 3 or 4 responses. Here are a few things I think that will help the forum in general though:

Use the search function, lots of answers are there.

End the hand at the correct time for analysis. Bruiser does this great, he leaves you with just the right info about the hand and lets you fill in the rest, thus his threads seem to be very very good and deep. Don't post a hand and say "comments on all streets". .post up to the street that is troubling to you and then let the responses take it from there.

Don't show results in original posts. .results do nothing for anyone. Also follow up your posts with results but please wait a few days. .Also the best results are the ones that include your thoughts and then maybe a few more questions to stimulate a little bit more discussion.

Don't post a hand just to post a hand. I'm sick of people posting hands just to make the poster feel better about his poker ability, make better decsions about the hands to post.

Bad beats are stupid.

Also everyone needs to keep in mind that the better players have very little incentive to post their own hands. .I mean when you are playing for thousands of dollars on any given hand and you are a well known players it would not be in your best interest to post every hand you play on this forum as many players you may not expect lurk and read everything this players write. With that said the best way to keep these players involved (i.e. Flynn, Mike, Danny, Jay, El D) is to post meaningful hands with the potential for strategic depth.

If you need examples of the type of hands to post or just want to look at real good NL threads use the search function and search my name for "Retro" and "Retro II". .they are two compilation threads that contain lots of really good NL hands with great discussion.

Just use good judgement.

Also it is the WSOP so that could account for the lack of quality during the last month or so. .

Thanks for reading and I hope to see this forum continue to thrive.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:46 PM

On the plus side... if crappier posters (and thus players) are posting in the Mid-High forum... and 2+2 has some of the better players on the internet... then the Mid-High stakes games must be a gold mine right now.

So let's look at the positive, maybe?

I've seen this crap in nearly every forum I've ever been a part of. Everyone always longs for the "good old days" in their forum. Couple things: 1) stop whining. 2) time tends to smooth wrinkles. If you're looking over old posts, you're clearly picking out the best of a long period of time. Of course a selection of 10 good archived posts are going to be better than the most recent 10 posts here. Maybe even the 50 most recent. Good poker players are supposed to keep the long-term in mind whenever possible, right?

If you're "good" enough to tell the difference between a "good" and "bad" post... what's the problem? Just read the good ones.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:46 PM

I think any easy solution would be to turn the 'mid, high stakes' forum into two forums, mid and high. I also think that because so many of us strictly play shorthanded I would like to see something done with the 'heads up and shorthanded' forum (not to great right now), instead of all limits and all games thrown into one forum. I think forums as specific as high stakes, short-handed could work. That is my opinion anyways.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:31 PM

Let me say something slightly off topic. I read these forums every day and have learned an enormous amount. I play quite a bit, mostly B&M although increasingly online, but I still rarely respond to others' posts because I'm still somewhat hesitant with my advice. Often I think about what I would say but don't post it and then check back to see if others have said what I would have said. If they have, there is no need for me to say it again.

I'm taking a lot more than I'm giving. Leeches like me owe a real debt to guys like Aggie who do post useful advice and commentary. Thank you.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop being so arrogant…Many of us make bold statements as if they are facts. Often times the advice is ignorant and simply wrong. There are very few of us that are smart enough or experienced enough or solid enough players to be so bold. And often times it’s a matter of opinion. Don’t pretend you know everything.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-11-2005, 09:40 PM

in the biblical sense, yes. i am sure.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 PM

It may help this forum to have an introductory post or link to "what does it take to post in the Mid-High NLPL forum?" that explains basically what has been suggested above, something like:
----------------------------------------------
<<Disclaimer: The following guidlines are in the spirit of increasing the quality of this forum. They are not meant to keep you from voicing your opinions, only make you more aware of what you post.>>
1. Roughly what limits belong here, including stack sizes
2. Keeping information legible and relevant <link to hand converter>
3. Being sure to include any read-related information that might help and avoiding posting simple hands with no reads available. Also, including the site, limit and short or ring game status.
4. Keeping your personal ego out of it unless it legitimately helps the discussion
5. Finally, if you have a question on a hand **search the archives first**

I have been guilty of poor posts myself but I *am* trying to better my own posts and help the forum. I have long thought that this type of message or link would be simple to create and very effective at controlling the quality of posts. Though I support the idea of having a moderator, I think it would be mostly unneeded if this were done.

On my personal thoughts, I see Mid-High as $600+. I have no problem with humor posts from the potty level on up (they keep me sane latenight) but it's tiresome when you have to slough through a sarcastic ego-shooting contest in the middle of a great post. Otherwise, I echo all the sentiment expressed above.

I've only known about and followed 2+2 for a few months but I hope to do my part in keeping it helpful to all its readers and especially the esteemed posters who may have noticed things slipping a little.

sox
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 PM

I am new to this forum, but i find the whining and complaining to be pretty childish.

here is a suggestion, if you dont like the content of a post or the manner in which it was posted, move along. "Oh my god you wont believe what happened to me today, i read a post and it wasnt what i expected. i could hardly eat dinner afterwards."

I am a member of a number of sites like this (mostly sports related) and the content here is just fine. If you think that you are above those that post here and it is hurting your game, well then i apologize for those posters.

Personally, i try to contribute as best i can. i am sure some of the posts do contribute and some do not. I for one, unlike some, am not perfect.

In my effort to actually contribute to the thread i will say that I am in favor of a clearer way to decide what is considered mid-high stakes. Personally i think NL 200 is mid-high stakes.