Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Couple of HEPFAP questions

I started playing 6-max when Party added the 3/6 6-max tables a couple of weeks ago, and while I have run very well so far, there are probably some rather obvious leaks in my game. Without much literature on the subject, I reread the HEPFAP section on short-handed play, and had a couple of questions for the more experienced short-handed players here (mostly concerning blind steal/defense).

First, it mentions that you should lead into the PFR very often, often with the hope that he folds. I tend not to do this. I check-raise most of my legit hands (most pairs and good draws), sometimes check/call them, and then check/call with my unimproved hands that aren't totally hopeless (and the odd check-raise bluff on favorable boards against opponents who can fold). Is this something I should be doing more of (the betting into the PFR?)?

I mention this because I have trouble playing when I am bet into by a blind. When my hand hits, I usually just raise, sometimes call and pop the turn when there are few overcards to trouble me and the opponent is right. When I don't have a pair or strong draw, however, it gets more difficult. I rarely fold unless the board is very ugly for my hand, I usually just call and reevaluate on the turn, and ocassionally raise a more aggressive player with OC's, but not too often.

Finally, it also mentions just calling on the button against very loose blinds with hands such as A6o or 22. Does anyone do this, or do you just raise anyway (or fold)?

I realize that many of these situations (particularly getting bet into as a pfr) are often hand specific and I should post some hands, which I will, but I wanted to see if anyone had any more general advice first.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Couple of HEPFAP questions

[ QUOTE ]
First, it mentions that you should lead into the PFR very often, often with the hope that he folds. I tend not to do this. I check-raise most of my legit hands (most pairs and good draws), sometimes check/call them, and then check/call with my unimproved hands that aren't totally hopeless (and the odd check-raise bluff on favorable boards against opponents who can fold). Is this something I should be doing more of (the betting into the PFR?)?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you certainly dont have to do this. there are many very successful players at high limits who virtually always check the flop. against players who are aware you need to take care to balance your play. but at this limit you can probably just select the best play for each situation, which is almost always to checkraise the flop.

betting out as a steal is rarely the best play imo for several reasons. the main one being that opponents in todays game defend against the play reasonably well. they very rarely fold on the flop, and you have to follow through on the turn. they bluff and semibluff raise the flop (and the turn.) they call down to the river with unimproved big cards.

so where to go from there? betting out then is a good play with your strongest hands. it induces excess action from decent hands and calldowns with very weak hands.

if you do add betting out to your repertoire, i suggest doing the opposite of what hpfap suggests and bet out mostly with good hands and occasionally with bluffs. as hpfap suggests you are of course getting great odds to steal (and a bet flop check turn line first to act will sometimes induce a free card from your suspicious opponent.) but you need to choose your spots carefully, and that comes with observing your opponent: how he plays and what kind of mood hes in, and what your recent interactions have been.

[ QUOTE ]
I mention this because I have trouble playing when I am bet into by a blind. When my hand hits, I usually just raise, sometimes call and pop the turn when there are few overcards to trouble me and the opponent is right. When I don't have a pair or strong draw, however, it gets more difficult. I rarely fold unless the board is very ugly for my hand, I usually just call and reevaluate on the turn, and ocassionally raise a more aggressive player with OC's, but not too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

my advice is to call the flop amd raise the turn more often, even if you have to start doing it with hands that feel marginal such as middle or bottom pair.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, it also mentions just calling on the button against very loose blinds with hands such as A6o or 22. Does anyone do this, or do you just raise anyway (or fold)?

[/ QUOTE ]

the general consensus on this seems to be that it can be the best play if the circumstances are just right. but when multitabling it can be hard to identify the right time to do it. most good players never make this play (but that doesnt really mean its not sometimes the best play.) i do it sometimes when my image is very poor.