Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 07:09 PM

Default oh i don\'t like this at all....

david wells to boston
Old 12-11-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: oh i don\'t like this at all....

I agree. We massively overpayed, too, according to the times.

scrub
Old 12-11-2004, 07:14 PM

they say he should fit right in with a the band of idiots. personally, last year's team reminded me of a bunch of kids...david wells just reminds me of an [censored]. whatever, if he can pitch well, i don't care.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:22 PM

Didn't Wells once volunteer to push the button when they decide to implode Fenway?
Old 12-11-2004, 07:27 PM

Red Sox, Wells Agree to Deal

[ QUOTE ]

12/11/2004 2:46 PM ET
Red Sox, Wells agree to deal
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

ANAHEIM -- While most of New England was sleeping Friday night, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein worked late into the night 3,000 miles away, completing the first day of the Winter Meetings by agreeing to terms on a two-year contract with free agent left-hander David Wells.

The club hasn't officially announced the deal yet, which is pending a physical that Wells is likely to take in Boston early next week.

While the Red Sox remain focused on trying to keep Pedro Martinez in a Boston uniform, Wells (who will turn 42 on May 20) gives the rotation another veteran presence, and one who has pitched in countless big games during his career.

Wells, AKA "Boomer", is known mostly to Boston fans for his years as a nemesis in Yankee pinstripes.

The finalists for Wells were the Red Sox and Indians. In the end, Boston prevailed.

The pact is worth a guaranteed total of $8 million over two years. However, incentive clauses -- mainly starts per season -- could bring the balance all the way to $18 million.

"I've known Wellsy for about seven years now," Red Sox ace Curt Schilling said Saturday afternoon in Boston at the team's annual "Christmas at Fenway" event. "If you could come up with one guy in the big leagues who belonged on this team and wasn't here, it would've probably been him. He's a winner. He's a gamer and he competes. All the other stuff off the field that he's got notoriety for, I could care less as long as he shows up and pitches. He's going to be fun to watch and he's got some axes to grind against certain teams and I think that's a good thing."

The likely addition of Wells to the defending World Series champions was an intriguing twist for sure, and one that gained steam as Friday's first day of the Winter Meetings wore on.

Early Friday afternoon, Gregg Clifton, the agent for Wells, divulged that the Red Sox and Indians had both made one-year offers.

But the Red Sox kept at it and added an additional year to convince Wells to join the squad he once loved to beat in his two stints with the Yankees.

The San Diego Padres, the team Wells pitched for last year, were also a finalist.

"We received a proposal from both the Indians and the Red Sox, which I think were both very sincere, very serious proposals," said Clifton Friday afternoon. "I think they were both definitely getting David's attention and showing him how serious they are about trying to attain his services for next season."

David Wells / P

Born: 05/20/63
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 235 lbs
Bats: L / Throws: L
More info:
Player page
Stats | Splits
Gallery
Team Site

Known for his ability to come up large in big games (Sox fans remember his clutch victory against Boston in Game 5 of the 2003 ALCS), Wells is coming off a solid year (12-8, 3.73 ERA) for the Padres. In 25 postseason starts, Wells is 10-3 with a 3.18 ERA.

"David is the ultimate gamer," said Clifton. "No one wants the ball more in big game situations than David and no one wants the pressure more than David does. I think the combination of that and the passion of the Boston fans, it would be a perfect fit. He's such a baseball historian. He loves the history of the sport. He would just have to focus his history a couple hundred miles north of where it was before."

One interesting wrinkle is that Wells has long expressed disdain about pitching at Fenway Park, where he is 10-10 lifetime with a 4.87 ERA.

However, in recent years, Wells has had improved success in Boston. This past June, he engaged in an epic duel with Martinez, taking a no-decision in Boston's 1-0 win.

Wells is 212-136 in his well-traveled career.

While Wells was the enemy in Boston during his years with the Yankees, he could fit in well with the gregarious type of team personality the Red Sox have. Johnny Damon dubbed the eventual 2004 World Series champions "the idiots" for their fun-loving nature.

"He wants to win, and having talked to him, he really likes the makeup of the Red Sox from the perspective of, they're his kind of guys," said Clifton. "Those guys just go out there and love to play ball and don't worry about what happens off the field. They're ready to show up when the first pitch is thrown and they're ready to win.

Epstein rolled his eyes on Friday evening when a reporter suggested the Red Sox might be cautious about bringing in Wells because of his outspoken nature and propensity to sometimes "rock the boat".

"Oh, we don't have anyone like that," quipped Epstein.

While Wells has struggled with back problems at times, he feels healthy heading into next season.

"He's ready to go. He felt great all season," said Clifton. "He didn't know if he was going to play another year, but he's decided he wants to go and he's feeling great and he's looking forward to it. He's very excited about it."

Wells joins a veteran-laden rotation stacked with big-game pitchers, including Schilling, Tim Wakefield and quite possibly, Martinez.

As for Martinez, Sox owner John Henry and president/CEO Larry Lucchino had what was described as a positive meeting with the three-time Cy Young Award winner at an airport in the Dominican Republic on Wednesday.

The Mets have made Martinez a three-year offer (believed to be worth approximately $38 million). The Sox had made Martinez a two-year offer with a third year vesting option. It is expected the Sox will have to guarantee the third year to keep Martinez.

The Boston Herald, citing a source, said the Sox were expected to make Martinez another offer before the start of the Winter Meetings.

Epstein wouldn't indicate whether or not another offer was made. He said he expects to speak with Fernando Cuza, Martinez's agent, before the Winter Meetings conclude on Monday. Epstein also suggested that television and radio reports that indicated that the club was all but ready to sign the ace to a new pact were inaccurate.

Ian Browne is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-11-2004, 10:40 PM

David Wells sucks, I feel sorry for you Daryn, then again you just won the W.S. so go [censored] yourself.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:45 PM

Why not? You couldn't pick a better type of player to fit on this team. Wells will work hard and pitch. He knows Boston and their fans; he knows how it works here.

He also loves Daisy Buchanan's on Newbury, when he wasn't pitching during the NY series in Boston, I'd see him there.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 12-11-2004, 10:47 PM

I think it is a good pick up for Boston. They get a guy who can start in the #4/5 spot and pitch long relief. He will be most valuable come playoff time if the Redsox make it that far next year.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:52 PM

Wells is over 40 years old. Wells never was a real athlete. He won 12 games last year, I'd be surprised if he can win 10 this year. There has got to be a better option for the Bo Sox out there.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:52 PM

Daisy Buchanan's sucks, the meatheads behind the bar there all care more about hearing themselves talk than serving customers. Great location though.