Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 09:09 AM

Default JJ weak line - help needed

Villain is new-ish to table so no reads yet (my reads are worth about zero just now anyway) and nothing stats wise that matters but about 25/5 for 20 hands.

How do you play this type of hand in general? I think my line screamed weak. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($84.50)
Hero ($139.63)
SB ($60.90)
BB ($102.80)
UTG ($41.70)
UTG+1 ($143.05)
UTG+2 ($105)
MP1 ($161.70)
MP2 ($18.50)
MP3 ($93.23)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($9.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8.

Turn: ($25.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

River: ($65.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: JJ weak line - help needed

You gotta raise that flop. Being a pansy is a disgrace to your fine avatar! If you get resistance you can lay it down. The only advantage you got by becoming a calling station is that villain probably now thinks his AK, AQ or AJ is good here; so against a thinking villain a river raise (maybe even the dreaded min raise [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) might induce anything but AA, an 8 or 4 to fold.

Raise that flop or fold. Don't call, especially since you have position. Use your position to make villain make the tough decisions that this hand presents.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 AM

I felt crap folding this river, then i opened up this thread and read my own post and thought - FOLD idiot. Why do I find it so uncomfortable to let go of a good 'starting' hand when its clear I'm beat? And why do I then whine about here? Worse yet why are thee times when I insist on putting the money in on this kind of garbage?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:33 AM

That's part of learning the game. You could have raised the flop to $15 to take control of the hand and still saved $9 (compared to how you played it) if you had to fold to villain's reraise. In this situation, I will call a river bet if I have KK or AA. JJ is not an optimal hand to call this against an unknown villain.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 AM

I think this is where my game falls down. I think myself weak. I see a pair, I've been bet into, I decide I might be beating a Cbet and nothing else so I either fold or call. Then I cry about it. I cry a lot just now.

So anyway, sobbing aside, whats your move on the turn when he calls your raise?

I will be posting more hands I wimped out on so feel free to point out what a pansy assed pussy I am. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 09:41 AM

Let your avatar play a few hands. he doesn't look like a pansy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If he calls my raise, I make a 1/2 pot turn bet (fold to a turn check raise) and check down the river. If villain leads out strong then I lay it down because I smell AA or KK trying to salvage the pot and it looks like you have a villain who won't lay an overpair down (make a note and stack him later if this happens).

Do you have pokertracker? I found reviewing how much $$ I made from each starting hand helped me identify leaks in my game.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:08 AM

I have pokertracker, just dont now how to identify a leak. I started playing NL because I did little more than break even at limit over my first 50k hands. I played 5k hands of 50NL just for a break from limit and won more in those hands than I had in my last 25k hands at limit. I switched, played like a rock tight set mining nit and havent looked back. Outside of the blinds I play pairs and AK-AJ, I limp suited Axs in MP, in the CO and button I raise with an Ace or JTo+ first in otherwise I limp along in back. I only call raises with pairs (smaller ones 5-10 rule dependant) and AKs, AQs.

I have no idea why I win but I currently clear about 5ptBB/100 at 100NL playing 4-8 tables full ring. I was clearing 8ptbb/100 at 50NL on average. I have over 250k hands of this garbage.

Mostly I fold a lot.

I'm here posting hands and reading to try and develop a more complete understanding of poker. I don't want to be a multi tabling bottom feeder for ever. I read lots (you name the book I've scribbled notes in it) but seem to misapply most of it or just fail to understand it.
I like the fact I can count on winning playing the way I do, loosening up scares me, short handed scares me, big stacks scare me, maniacs scare me, LAGS scare me, being called by another rock makes me wet myself.

I suck. I am a strategy player rather than a thinking player. I do what works and fear changing and losing my comfort zone.

Strangely though, when I play 6 max i turn from a 12/4/2 rock into 30/20/5 raising machine. I don't have any reason for playing so differently other than it seems to make sense to me.

...but really I just suck at poker. It just pays so damn well.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:27 AM

I play 6-max and find that it has loosened me up and helped me develop my game. Drop down and play some 6-max NL $25 and play a LAG style. Remember that a good LAG is a nut pre-flop who outplays his opponents post-flop.

I would say stop being afraid to lose. Hopefully you are not gambling with your rent money. Read posts here by TWP, xorbie, yvesaint, ghazban and Bobbofitos and you will be getting top-notch advice you will not see in a book.

With the number of hands that you have played finding leaks should not be too difficult (I might start a thread on this). All your pocket pairs and A-Broadway starting hands should be profitable. If not, review these hands.

Look at hands that you have lost the most money with and try to see where you went wrong. My guess is you called down with 2nd best.

Anyway, hopefully someone smarter than me will offer some more insights.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:58 AM

hmm, insightful thread
im new here, trying to improve my game a bit,
if it had been me playing, i would have raised his post flop bet to about 10, see what he does. this would at least put you in control of the hand, if he calls you know he at least has a hand of some sort.
then see what action he takes on the turn, if he check, make a small raise, 6-8, see what he does, if he calls, start being worried then possibley a check down on the river?

but by just calling ur swayin to him that u have a hand but are unsure of it, which to me would say ur either slow playing the nuts, or u have a hand which hasnt hit yet.
in this instance id play as he did and scare you out of the pot which is what happened.

basically in my opinion i think in a situation like this you need to bet to a certain extent to put you on an even level??

may be wrong but thats what i think
Old 11-02-2005, 11:16 AM

Not sure what happened...was it checked to you on the river?

If it was, i'd check behind. You don't have enough hands to rely on the stats, but I'd think that you are almost certainly behind here, but sometimes you are beating A high that thinks it's good because of the double paired board. I'd raise the flop...that lets him know you have at least TP and maybe something better.......also, raising the flop on this board gives you the PERFECT opportunity to bluff when the board double pairs on the turn. He's gotta fold just about anything here. As played, fold to a river bet unless it's super tiny in relation to the size of the pot...you are crushed by QQ-AA IMO.