Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 01:36 AM

Default 10/20 A4s

5-handed 10/20. Folded to me on the Button and I raise A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The SB, a generally too loose and too aggressive player, calls. The BB, who is observant but overaggressive, also calls. He tends to give too much action postflop, specifically against me. I have been playing slightly less LAG than normal to compensate for the fact that the overdefend and overdefend overaggressively, but I still probably have a bit of a LAG image. I don't play much with SB but BB and I play quite a bit together.

So anyway. I raise, SB calls, and BB calls. The flop is 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to me, I bet, SB folds, and BB checkraises.

Let's play this one together. What now?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: 10/20 A4s

3-bet the flop. In blind steal situations you will often be 3-betting in position with the bare A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so you might get more out of this guy by just stepping on the gas now.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:42 AM

He'll never give you credit for flopping the nuts in a blind war. Might be a good spot to 3-bet. I don't like calling and raising the turn because it can be super obvious what's going on.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:48 AM

Pedal to the metal. I got 6 bets in this same situation live, before the board double-paired on the river (with the top 2 cards, at that)...

-d
Old 10-27-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He tends to give too much action postflop, specifically against me.

[/ QUOTE ]

easy 3-bet, if you wait till the turn, hell know somethings up
Old 10-27-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet the flop. In blind steal situations you will often be 3-betting in position with the bare A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so you might get more out of this guy by just stepping on the gas now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. The best way to slow this guy down/maybe allow him to fold is to wait until a big bet street to raise. Three-betting now will suggest your messing with him and encourage him to go crazy.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:50 AM

I'm pleased to see the old Meep avatar back... feels like old times...
Old 10-27-2005, 01:58 AM

First we need to put BB on a range of hands that will checkraise you here. BB probably figures he will not be blowing you off the hand on the turn a high percentage of the time, as you will only be turbomucking not-clubbed high cards. I also don't think there's much of any chance he has air here.

I think he's checkraising the king of clubs, a made flush, any top pair, and a set. Can't put him on two pair.

I'd weigh it about 70% TP, 15% made flush, %5 Kc or some kind of silly club/pair+club, and 10% set.

With this hand range o' mine I really see no point in getting FPS for more bets on the turn. You really need to step on the pedal, because you can get a lot of bets out of him on the turn and river if he's got a really good second best hand.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pleased to see the old Meep avatar back... feels like old times...

[/ QUOTE ]

omg [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 10-27-2005, 02:39 AM

another key reason to 3-bet the flop that no one has mentioned is that a turn club is very likely to kill any action you would have gotten.