Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Does this move have + EV? or am I spewing?

No reads really, turn bettor just sat down, small blind is tight with 14% vpip.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

My thoughts when the 10 hit on the turn:

'why is this guy betting here? If he has the 10, he's going to scare everyone out by the bet. I raised the flop and i'm to his immediate left, so if he's even semi-knowledgable, he knows he can count on me for a turn continuation bet. And if that's the case, he'd be much better of trapping the blinds with a check raise.'

So I deemed this as either a donk bet, where he thought I was raising my flush draw on the flop or just a plain old bluff.

My thoughts on the river:

After both blinds called the turn bet from a NEW aggressor, I kind of have to figure one of them for a 7 right? So my immediate thoughts when the J hit were 'I hope MP1 bets. I probably have MP1 beat and the blinds, facing 2BB's with 2 overs on the river may muck their better hands.'

Thoughts?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Does this move have + EV? or am I spewing?

Flop raise: eh. You'll probably increase your chances of winning the pot, but this is not the flop I'm crossing my fingers for when I limp A6s.

Fold the turn. The donk bet is a Ten, probably T9 or T8. If you weren't beat before, the people cold calling the flop raise and the new bettor in front of you should tell you to GTFO.

You bluff raised the river overcard and got lucky that the turn donk folded his ten.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:40 AM

seemy waay too risky without reads. i wouldn't have the ballz for it
Old 10-21-2005, 01:40 AM

At 2-4 with no reads, this play cannot be +EV. Most players at this level will pay off this raise if they have any kind of hand that has you beat.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:43 AM

MP1 may well have the ten; a lot of players on these limits will take one off on the flop with two overs, regardless of any draws out there. When he hits his ten, he might want you to raise, especially if you really are on a flush draw or 88/99, because he realizes that his pair of tens, if best, is vulnerable to overcards falling, hearts coming, an 8 or 9 coming...you name it. He also doesn't want you checking through with a 7, 88/99, etc. If I were MP1 and I had decided to stay in with AT (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) on the flop, I'd bet the turn, too.

So based on that read, I don't like the river raise; it worked this time (MP1 probably picked up a gutshot to go with his flush draw &amp; decided to bluff), but I don't think it will very often. If you have a specific read on the villain (mainly that he's a maniac/overplays his draws badly), it's okay...but against an unknown, I just muck to the river bet (even calling the turn bet is iffy, as one of your 5 outs when behind is dirty).

BTW, I'm not a huge fan of raising the flop with second pair + backdoor flush draw after a bet and 2 callers, either. You have the pot odds to call the bet, but you're probably not best here very often and you certainly can't be playing for a free card with the 2-suited flop.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:25 AM

*blindpost*

You have pot odds to call the turn raise. You've got 5 squeeky clean outs, and 9:1 odds to chase. But you should raise if you are going to continue the hand. You cannot allow other hands to call behind you for cheap. You should give them an opportunity to make a mistake - either folding a hand that beats you, or calling without pot odds.

I'm still having issues with raising the river in my own experience. I think your example suits the play best. Good post.

[ QUOTE ]
No reads really, turn bettor just sat down, small blind is tight with 14% vpip.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-22-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got 5 squeeky clean outs,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm counting less than 5. Am I missing something?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3 aces
2 6s
5 outs needs 8:1 pot odds to call.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3 aces
2 6s
5 outs needs 8:1 pot odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] "squeaky" clean? Do you have a different definition of clean?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:33 PM

It's amazing what you learn after some thinking and re-reading of hands.

When I re-read how this hand goes and think about my logic at the time, sitting outside of my hand as though I was anotherp layer, I would think that I had made trips and only called on the turn instead of raising so as to get the blinds to overcall.

The raise on the river indicates the same.

It's amazing how things look different over some extesive studying.