Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Bush creates and sends second storm to kill those Katrina missed

Federal Pork on its way to New Orleans...

Old 09-19-2005, 10:29 PM

You don't actually believe any of that, do you?

X
Old 09-20-2005, 02:26 AM

Tek is confounding as all hell to me. Sometimes he makes great points. And then he goes and ruins it by talking about how the CIA and Mossad brought down the WTC buildings.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:15 AM

I figure it must be very very deep insecurity that drives conspiracy nuts. People want to believe that someone somewhere is in control and is pulling all the strings. They want to believe that they are capable of deciphering the secret way things really are. This must elevate them. It also helps that when you figure out the secret way things really are that the good guys are not in charge and you must resist them so that one day, you may be in charge.

This must provide a sense that one can control their destiny. The truth is much much more frightening than this, even. Everything most everyone knows is wrong. There is no one in control. There is no one that knows where we are going or what is coming. We are just all hurtling along on our little rock orbiting a minor star. We are subjected, all of us, everyday, to forces quite beyond the collective knowing of our species. In the next instant, a comet could come from the direction of the sun, never detected and annihilate us. A star in the local cluster could go supernova and bathe our planet in radiation intense enough to boil the seas. We don't know. We can't know. Any attempt to do so is futile. We don't even understand our own behaviour, our intelligence, our economies, our culture. Lots of very smart people spend lots of time trying to understand and still can't explain any of it completely.

We are all simply beyond control or comprehension.

This understanding is where true freedom lies. Those who can't or don't want to accept it are always going to be slaves to their imaginary masters. Those who do understand at least have some hope that they can make their lives into what they want them to be.

Anything less is not being alive.

So much for conspiracies.

X
Old 09-20-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure it must be very very deep insecurity that drives conspiracy nuts. People want to believe that someone somewhere is in control and is pulling all the strings. They want to believe that they are capable of deciphering the secret way things really are. This must elevate them. It also helps that when you figure out the secret way things really are that the good guys are not in charge and you must resist them so that one day, you may be in charge.

This must provide a sense that one can control their destiny. The truth is much much more frightening than this, even. Everything most everyone knows is wrong. There is no one in control. There is no one that knows where we are going or what is coming. We are just all hurtling along on our little rock orbiting a minor star. We are subjected, all of us, everyday, to forces quite beyond the collective knowing of our species. In the next instant, a comet could come from the direction of the sun, never detected and annihilate us. A star in the local cluster could go supernova and bathe our planet in radiation intense enough to boil the seas. We don't know. We can't know. Any attempt to do so is futile. We don't even understand our own behaviour, our intelligence, our economies, our culture. Lots of very smart people spend lots of time trying to understand and still can't explain any of it completely.

We are all simply beyond control or comprehension.

This understanding is where true freedom lies. Those who can't or don't want to accept it are always going to be slaves to their imaginary masters. Those who do understand at least have some hope that they can make their lives into what they want them to be.

Anything less is not being alive.

So much for conspiracies.

X

[/ QUOTE ]
Link please.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:38 AM

Now that's funny. I suppose my views sound just as wacked out as any conspiracy, don't they.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:24 AM

Glad to see you have a sense of humor.

As far as my view on this subject goes, I'm a little more open to examining conspiracy theories despite the negative connotation that's been attached to conspiracy theorists. Conspiracies do exist. I don't know how deep they go, but I'm suspicious of certain factions such as those who attend Bilderberg meetings and I wonder what the hell is up with these chemtrails.

As for the sources Tek linked, I can't vouch for. I do visit Alex Jones' sites quite often though. IMO he's one of the most discriminating of the "conpiracy theorists", as he documents the sources for all of his claims. I think he's a benefit to society because he's able to wake people up and motivate them to analyze things for themselves.

Am I buying everything he says wholesale? No(for example, I think his opinion on Bohemian Grove is blown out of proportion), but I find his sites to be a good source for news and his ideals are pretty well aligned with mine so I find his analysis interesting.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 AM

You make some valid points. I do not spend all my time on conspiracy theories nor do I believe all of them.

However, do believe that to the extent that some theories are valid and there are some people controlling some aspects of the socio-economic system, it makes sense to get these things out in the open as a "blocking bet" as it were...

If people like Alex Jones pulls the curtain on some schemes, it forces the elite to change plans.

I do agree that we should keep going with our daily lives. I don't believe exposing conspiracies will let me control my destiny any more than not exposing them. However, I do believe us "little people" can exert some influence.

Example: when Operation Tips was proposed many people opposed this and were quite vocal about it. (This idea was similar to the Russian and German spy-on-your-friends and neighbors policies). I even sent an email to the Justice Department mocking this plan. I asked them if our Operation Tips reports should be prefaced with 'heil hitler'. Enough people must have spoke out because two months later there was a quiet announcement that it was being dumped.

I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere...
Old 09-20-2005, 12:34 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Nothing against you, but this reminds me of the L&amp;O or Homocide episode (maybe it was the join episode, actually, yeah, that was it) where Munch is ripping on the government the whole time and talking about how they must have stacks of information on him after all he's done. Well, the case is about a government agent's murder, so there are lots of FBI people involved, and at the end Munch asks for his file, and the guy is like, "Yeah, sure" and brings him a manila folder with one sheet of paper in it that only says something like "Arrested for protest in 1971."

It was funny. Guess you had to be there.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM

The FBI still doesn't store its data digitally? LOL