Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Am I a fish?

Party NL50. I haven't played a hand in like 3 orbits. Villian on the button ($50)is tight-passive pre-flop. I put him on an over pair (with a much lesser chance a set). I'm CO w/ 9h 7h and cover.

Pre-flop
I raise to $2 first in, button calls and SB calls.

Flop ($6:50): 5h 7c 8d (3 players)

SB checks, I bet $5, villian min-raises to $10, SB folds, I call.

Turn ($26): 9c (2 players)

I bet $15, he pushes for another $23, I call.

Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Am I a fish?

#1 - you shouldn't be raising 9 7 suited from early position. maybe you can justify a late position raise, but at .25-.50, that's very debatable

#2 - Betting on the flop was fine, but his raise should have given you some caution. You have to either put him on an A 8 or on a 6. What did you put him on here? Since he called a $2 raise, at this point I put him on an overpair, 66, or maybe even 6 7 suited.

#3 - Based on your read, you probably should fold to the minraise, but betting out again on the turn was ridiculous - he probably has you beat when that 9 hit - ESP after he raised you all-in... just wondering - what did you put him on when you called him?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:06 PM

Don't understand why you called the flop.

He could have 55, 66, 77, 88, 99 all of which, beat you. On the other hand he could have 10's or J's.

At 50nl, home of the nut peddler, I gotta say your drawing to 4 outs here, I fold.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1 - you shouldn't be raising 9 7 suited from early position. maybe you can justify a late position raise, but at .25-.50, that's very debatable

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in LP, CO=the seat to the right of the button

[ QUOTE ]

#2 - Betting on the flop was fine, but his raise should have given you some caution. You have to either put him on an A 8 or on a 6. What did you put him on here? Since he called a $2 raise, at this point I put him on an overpair, 66, or maybe even 6 7 suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put him on an over pair testing his waters, perhaps AA-KK misplayed. Maybe a set, but not likely. I figuered I had 9 outs. Didn't know if he'd pay me off though. The calling of hios raise is the part I'm most unsure of.

[ QUOTE ]
#3 - Based on your read, you probably should fold to the minraise, but betting out again on the turn was ridiculous - he probably has you beat when that 9 hit - ESP after he raised you all-in... just wondering - what did you put him on when you called him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hoped for a misplayed over pair. I don't see how that 9 could have helped him.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 PM

how can you put him on an overpair. All he's done is call a preflop raise, and then minraise a fairly coordinated flop. He could have 66 here. He could have J 10, people LOVE playing j 10. Remember, 2 pair is only the third best hand. I find it interesting how you put him on exactly the only hand you are ahead of. It is generally a better practice to put your opponent on a RANGE of hands. I'd say 10 9 is likely, j 10, 66, 67, 56, 78, 89, 1010 - JJ, all are relatively likely. If he has QQ-AA then he deserves to lose. Of these you are ahead in some, drawing to 4 outs in others....classic slightly ahead/way behind it looks like to me. I don't like leading for 15, but you might as well call once he pushes and pray like hell he has 10 10, or JJ and the river doesn't pair one of the cards you don't have.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. He wasn't playing from EP. He was in the CO (aka one off the button).
2. Your hand reads are difficult to understand. I'd say that villain could have anything from a set to an overpair here including some straight draws. I'm not sure why you "have to either put him on A8 or A6" from his flop min-raise.
3.Betting on the turn was certainly ridiculous. It is hard to even justify calling the flop min-raise without a great read on villain.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hoped for a misplayed over pair. I don't see how that 9 could have helped him.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, he played 66 the exact same way I would here against a preflop raiser. I'd assume first missed overcards on that flop, and it's a really good flop for 66. I'd raise thinking I was most likely ahead with room to improve on top of that. I think he didn't raise enough on the flop regardless of what he had though. I would have raised a lot more than him.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Results

It looks like the general opinion is; yes, I am a fish. Looking back at it, I realize it was quite foolishly done putting him on an over pair. When I played it though, I had this weird feeling he had an over pair.

Anyway, he showed T T and MHIG.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:48 PM

the only hands I would be modestly worried about is 89 or flopped set.

I just don't think party50 plays 66 this way with a flop check minraise.

if I was headsup with position, this is one of the few flops I might check behind on.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:53 PM

why wouldn't you put him on a set?

if i decided that i was going to play this for my stack, i'd have check-pushed the turn. at least get a little fold equity...