Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 04:17 PM

Default BS floor ruling at Grand Victoria IN

I'm playing 5/10 at the grand vic - the UTG player sitting in seat 10 limps and leaves his cards sitting unprotected in front of his chip stack. Several more players limp and I raise on the button. Both blinds fold. As the dealer is sweeping the blinds’ cards in the muck, he grabs the UTG’s cards and mucks them too. UTG is busy dealing with the waitress but when he turns around he says ‘hey where’d my cards go?’. Dealer says ‘Sorry, I just saw them sitting out there and thought you folded.’ The UTG player, while not exactly happy at having his hand mucked, concedes ‘yeah, I got to remember to start protecting my cards’. I figure situation over – lesson learned – let’s get on with it. Wrong. The dealer, on his volition, calls the floor over and explains what happened. The floor apologizes to the player (even though it was his fault and seemed to understand that) and says ‘well we can’t ever pull cards out of the much, but we’ll let you take your bet back’. WTF? Now I jump in. Not wanting to look like a jerk, I say ‘I’m sorry his hand got mucked but that $5 was in play, people have since acted on it, you can’t just push it back to him’ Floor says ‘we accidentally mucked his hand, it’s not fair to make him leave his bet in’. I argue with the floor a little more but to no avail. Should I have just let this go and kept quiet? I’m sick and tired of always having to point out various rules to clueless dealers and floorpeople. It sucks because most of the time the rest of the table doesn’t know better and to them it looks like I’m shooting some angle when I’m really just trying to enforce a rule that the dealer and floor should have done to begin with.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: BS floor ruling at Grand Victoria IN

Yeah, it sucks, and I totally agree with you that the $5 should stay in the pot. However, arguing about it doesn't help the game at all. You've held up the game and irratated a few of your opponents, especially UTG guy. I'd wait for a bigger issue to take a stand next time.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:33 PM

You are playing at Live Poker's answer to Pacific Poker.com
Old 07-05-2005, 04:39 PM

Yeah they should have made the 5 bucks stay in the pot, but I wouldnt get that pissed over it unless they kept doing something like that.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Yeah...I'd be packing up, too.

Isn't there a rule that says it's the player's responsibility to protect his holecards? Isn't that written in Robert's Rules(not bothering to look)?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:52 PM

Simple.
Next pot you win, say "one" and put one chip to the side. Do not tip dealer.
Repeat until you get to "five".
Resume tipping.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:58 PM

They pool their tips with the BJ dealers so it doesn't have the same impact.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:03 PM

The impact is getting my $5.
Not trying to "punish" anyone.
Just get my $5.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 PM

Yes the rule would say the $5 stays in the pot.

But my opinion is that in the spirit of fair play, he should get his money back. You can argue technicalities or be a good sport. I would never argue against him getting his money back in this situation. And I'm the type of guy who can get into some pretty loud arguments w/ floor people.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:54 PM

I've been posting at 2+2 for years.

Whenever someone posts a floor decision that they didn't like, I would always reply, and try to explain to the poster that the floor made the correct call, and try to explain the rule.

But that doesn't happen any more. Now, when someone posts a "ridiculous floor decision", it usually IS ridiculous.

And I don't know how to reply. I've always known, before, because the floorman was always right.

But that doesn't happen any more.