Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 05:43 AM

Default 1/2 NL Hand with KK

I have $600 behind. It's $100 buy in table. Villian just sat down, has $100 exactly.

I'm in the SB, villian makes it $10, one caller to me, I make it $40. He calls, heads up to the flop with $90-$100 in the pot.

Flop comes down A84.
I check.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Hand with KK

Well I like the flop check. If you bet he's going to be able to play perfectly against you, folding anything you beat, and calling with anything that beats you.

I'm still not folding this hand, though. All you can do is check-call any bets hoping he has QQ/JJ.

Ojo_Rojo.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:04 AM

I like the check too. You don't have top pair.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:07 AM

Good discipline with the check. Just curious how many bets and how much money you would call down with your KK hand, or would you fold to a bet here on the flop?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I like the flop check. If you bet he's going to be able to play perfectly against you, folding anything you beat, and calling with anything that beats you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting for me. I feel this is probably the weakest part of my game now. In this situation, I would have bet, hoping that villian would fold. If villian plays back at me, I am done with the hand.

However, I see the point that villian would only call with hands that beat mine, and fold anything I beat. Identifying these situations is where I have trouble. Over the long term, I assume betting them has less value?

Say you _are_ villian here with QQ, and hero checks to you. You bet it because it was checked to you, and your queens might be good? When called, what is your plan for the rest of the hand?

-pj
Old 06-24-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting for me. I feel this is probably the weakest part of my game now. In this situation, I would have bet, hoping that villian would fold. If villian plays back at me, I am done with the hand.

However, I see the point that villian would only call with hands that beat mine, and fold anything I beat. Identifying these situations is where I have trouble. Over the long term, I assume betting them has less value?

Say you _are_ villian here with QQ, and hero checks to you. You bet it because it was checked to you, and your queens might be good? When called, what is your plan for the rest of the hand?

-pj

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacks are too short for some of this thinking. Villain has $60 left and the pot is ~$100. Any called bet will result in villain being all-in.

If I'm the shortstacked villain with QQ, I'm pushing and hoping I can get KK to fold. Hero's hand is well-defined by the reraise preflop but he should I know I could easily be holding a big ace. If I am hero with KK, I'm check/calling any bet (for the same reasons). If villain has anything but AA, his play of the hand was -EV the whole way so, by calling, I'm making money in the long run even if he has an ace this time and I lose the pot.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:56 AM

What Ghazban said. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I dont think villain is a good player, putting nearly half his stack in preflop. Unless, of course, he has AA.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 06-24-2005, 10:58 AM

if me and villain were deeper and villain was thinking player, I would best try to represent AA.

probably check call flop, weak lead turn.