Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 AM

Default 6 max - Crappy 2 pair from BB - how to play

No reads,

I am not sure whether I am up against an overpair or a set here. Who pushes over the top?

(New to the table so no reads)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($33.45)
CO ($63.3)
Button ($22.4)
SB ($41.5)
Hero ($25)
UTG ($24.5)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls $2.

Turn: ($5.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $15</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $23.25
Old 02-01-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: 6 max - Crappy 2 pair from BB - how to play

15 raise on an 8 dollar pot?

I'm out of there barring a maniac read on the villan.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:56 AM

You betting makes no sense. You severely overbet the pot on the flop, and then underbet the turn. Your opponent probably can't make sense of it either, which could prompt him play his hand unusually as well. I have a quote stuck in my head from Ciaffone's "Improve Your Poker"... something about if your opponents deviate from standard play, then you need deviate from standard play as well in order to play optimally against them. In this case, you made the first departure from standard play with your flop bet, and it's pretty much impossible to figure out what your opponent thinks of it. I think I'm going off on a tangent though... when it comes right down to it, I can't see myself folding two pair on this board heads up with 50bb stacks. But, I wouldn't bet it the way you did.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 AM

I was thinking it was TPTK with a nut flush draw, but you had the T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Actually, I probably would have called here but I like your fold. I guess if he did have a set, he's protecting the flush possibility. And if this guy is really out of line, you'll have a chance to break him later.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:06 AM

He either has a str8 or your crushing him. Since the pot is so small you can fold. If it were bigger, or your stack was very small i would call.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You betting makes no sense. You severely overbet the pot on the flop, and then underbet the turn. Your opponent probably can't make sense of it either, which could prompt him play his hand unusually as well. I have a quote stuck in my head from Ciaffone's "Improve Your Poker"... something about if your opponents deviate from standard play, then you need deviate from standard play as well in order to play optimally against them. In this case, you made the first departure from standard play with your flop bet, and it's pretty much impossible to figure out what your opponent thinks of it. I think I'm going off on a tangent though... when it comes right down to it, I can't see myself folding two pair on this board heads up with 50bb stacks. But, I wouldn't bet it the way you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Soah,

Yeah I guess the betting looks strange but it was bet and raised with such speed (I know I didn't state this in my post) that I don't think he had time to think through my betting pattern.

If I pot the flop and then the again pot the turn and he makes this raise do you then fold?
Old 02-01-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While you may be right about not folding, you read too much into the heads of these villans. They simply dont think about what you do. If they do think about it, they are usually wrong (think youre pure bluffing).
Old 02-01-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While you may be right about not folding, you read too much into the heads of these villans. They simply dont think about what you do. If they do think about it, they are usually wrong (think youre pure bluffing).

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of what I was alluding to was that the opponent in this hand may decide that Hero's weird bets indicate a bluff. But it's impossible to really figure out. And these players that don't think past the first level are the same ones that think they've pulled a brilliant trap here with their overpair.